This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9026 / 51°54'9"N
Longitude: -5.1719 / 5°10'18"W
OS Eastings: 181894
OS Northings: 227427
OS Grid: SM818274
Mapcode National: GBR C9.Q9TX
Mapcode Global: VH1QX.9FPT
Entry Name: Church of St Hywel
Listing Date: 4 February 1991
Last Amended: 4 February 1991
Source ID: 12423
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on S side of lane some 1.8km S of junction with A487 and some 1.5km SW of Croesgoch.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Uncertain medieval date, possibly C14 to C15, heavily restored in later C19. Parish church in rubble stone with graded small slates to roofs. Nave, chancel and N chapel. Nave has large plain gabled bellcote with round-headed W bell-niche. Evidence that both nave and bellcote have been raised, possibly in C19 restoration. Windows are all of C19, purple Caerfai sandstone, 2-light, with ogee heads to lights and clear lattice glazing; one to west wall, one to N chapel N wall, two to S wall with original wall taken down to just above sill height and rebuilt thinner. Slate capping to projecting lower wall and window sills. Chancel has similar 3-light E window and nave N wall has C19 pointed arched flush doorway. N chapel projects with unusual broad passage to chancel. E roof slope is continued down over passage to canted NE wall.
Churchyard with rubble walls and scattered memorials.
4-bay C19 nave roof, arched-braced collar-trusses with apex king-post and angle struts. Plain plastered low arches to chancel and N chapel, corbelled rough blocks mark line of rood screen, three to E wall, one to N wall. N chapel has plastered roof, W side wall recess and small E wall recess. Another in wall of passage to chancel. Chancel has 2-bay roof similar to nave.
Furnishings; at W end C5 or C6 burial stone inscribed ‘RINACI NOMENA’ removed from Upper Carnhedryn Farm. C12 square scalloped font on circular shaft and square base. C19 pews, pulpit and reading desk. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. Early C19 chamber organ installed 1975.
Church is first mentioned ca 1290 and parish was united with Llandeloy from at least 1302.
Other nearby listed buildings