History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouse adjoining No.22 Catherine Street

A Grade II Listed Building in St Davids, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.88 / 51°52'48"N

Longitude: -5.2713 / 5°16'16"W

OS Eastings: 174943

OS Northings: 225222

OS Grid: SM749252

Mapcode National: GBR C5.RP58

Mapcode Global: VH0TL.L04L

Plus Code: 9C3PVPJH+2F

Entry Name: Warehouse adjoining No.22 Catherine Street

Listing Date: 26 August 1981

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12574

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Situated to W of No 22, on N side of street; the first building of the built-up centre of Saint David's on the approach from Porthclais.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (TÅ·ddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Built-Up Area: St Davids

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

History

Later C18 or early C19 warehouse associated with the coastal trade to Porthclais.

Exterior

Large rubble stone three-storey building with grouted slate roof, gable-end to street. Gable end has broad ground floor entry with iron lintel, first floor and second floor loading doors flanked by square windows, doors with concrete lintels, windows with timber lintels. Second floor right window is blocked in red brick as are two small loft lights above.

Side elevations are 4-window with small square windows and timber lintels to first and second floors, mostly glazed, some boarded openings. West side has three ground floor openings. East side has door in first floor left bay, approached by C20 concrete steps and ground floor centre door with two windows to right. SE angle is rounded at ground floor.

Reasons for Listing

One of three surviving warehouses on the road from the harbour at Porthclais to Saint David's. Marked on 1840 Tithe Map as owned by Elizabeth Williams, owner also of the second storehouse (see Goat Street); in 1864 two storehouses were owned by William Williams and this one was still owned by W Williams of The Grove Hotel in 1890s.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.