This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8809 / 51°52'51"N
Longitude: -5.2653 / 5°15'55"W
OS Eastings: 175360
OS Northings: 225295
OS Grid: SM753252
Mapcode National: GBR C5.RQNB
Mapcode Global: VH0TD.PZ9J
Entry Name: Lloyd's Bank
Listing Date: 26 August 1981
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12578
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated at E end of S side of Cross Square, adjoining No 2 High Street.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Built-Up Area: St Davids
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mid to late C19 pair of houses converted to single banking premises ca1920.
Painted stucco over rubble stone with slate low pitched roof and rendered end stacks. Two storeys, three 12-pane sash windows with slate sills above and altered ground floor with two narrow 12-pane sashes to left and projecting single storey painted stucco bank front across centre and right. Canted entrance across original front door and two window range to right. Leaded top lights. Openings framed by pilasters with moulded caps and bases and pendant labels to necks. Channelled rustication flanking openings and raised aprons below windows. Plinth broken forward under pilasters. Entablature above and balustrated parapet with coped pedestals corresponding to pilasters below. Pedestals with plinths, caps and pendant label blocks. One similar bay in W return. Two rear wings and pointed stair light between.
Apparently a pair of houses called Dewi House and New House, illustrated in post-1912 photo (The Streets of Saint David's, 1977, 18) with stone front, pedimented central doorway and shop front of Owen's Fancy Repository to left. Lloyd's Bank opened in St David's in 1891 in temporary premises, the first bank to open an office in Saint David's.
Not marked on 1840 Tithe Map.
Other nearby listed buildings