History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Felin Isaf, including former Water Mill to rear

A Grade II Listed Building in St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8778 / 51°52'40"N

Longitude: -5.2781 / 5°16'41"W

OS Eastings: 174466

OS Northings: 224999

OS Grid: SM744249

Mapcode National: GBR C5.RTQJ

Mapcode Global: VH0TL.G2K8

Plus Code: 9C3PVPHC+4Q

Entry Name: Felin Isaf, including former Water Mill to rear

Listing Date: 1 March 1963

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12690

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated down drive some 250m SE of Pont Clegyr-Boia on St David's to Treginnis lane.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Locality: Porthclais

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

Exterior

Early and later C19 mill and mill house on River Alun. Mill building to rear probably early C19, mill house mid to later C19, though a mill has been recorded here from 1326.

Two-storey three-window rubble stone house, formerly roughcast, with imitation slate roof and roughcast end stacks. C20 timber sashes, 9-pane above, 12-pane below with cambered brick heads. Centre window replaces ledged door and windows have all been replaced since 1981. Roughcast end walls and lean-to on E end.

Mill building: behind is rubble stone building with S gable over mill stream, former overshot water-wheel has gone. One small fixed light at low level, one 2-pane fixed light with cambered brick head above. Evidence in gable that eaves have been raised. W side is built out since 1981 with big French windows, original wall survives within. E side has lean-to to left and recessed porch with C20 double doors.

Mill is fed by mill-leat from Cathedral Close and was the Bishop's Mill, also known as Dewiston, Dewston or Lower Mill.

Interior

Complete mill-machinery: survives within mill section and there is said to be a date 'I Roberts 1810'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.