History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of our Lady & St Non

A Grade II Listed Building in St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan), Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8723 / 51°52'20"N

Longitude: -5.2667 / 5°16'0"W

OS Eastings: 175220

OS Northings: 224353

OS Grid: SM752243

Mapcode National: GBR C5.SB8Y

Mapcode Global: VH0TL.N6KH

Plus Code: 9C3PVPCM+W8

Entry Name: Chapel of our Lady & St Non

Listing Date: 28 July 1992

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12713

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in garden immediately SE of Saint Non's Retreat House.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

History

1934, by David Thomas of Saint David's. Built for Morgan Griffiths as Roman Catholic Chapel to Saint Non's House.

Saint Non's House was built 1929 for Morgan Griffiths, Carmarthen solicitor, and became a Roman Catholic retreat house run by Passionist Fathers in 1939.

Exterior

Rubble stone small rectangular chapel in careful medieval style, based on local precedent. Graded slate roof. Battered corner buttresses, corbel table all around, coped side parapets, coped and shouldered gables, with west gabled bellcote and E cross finial. West end has round-arched door, blank round-headed panel in gable and round-headed opening in bellcote. Two round arched windows each side and one, larger to east end, breaking corbel table. All openings with flush ashlar moulded frames, in Forest of Dean stone.

Interior

Divided by rubble wall with round arch to chancel. Collar truss roof with king-posts. Stained glass in all windows, four single figures of saints to side windows and E end figure to St Non, window signed 'William Morris, Westminster'. Various medieval fragments re-used: carved fragments in altar said to come from former Priory of Whitwell on SW edge of St David's; battered piscina from an outbuilding at Caerforiog Farm, near Solva; small font from site of chapel at Gwrhyd, NE of St David's; and one stone in altar from ruins of St Patrick's Chapel, Whitesand Bay. Large white marble statue of Virgin and Child, copy of C19 original in Notre Dame de Victoire, Paris, by Boulton of Cheltenham.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.