History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Treleddyn Uchaf/Upper Treleddyn, including Garden Walls with Crosshead

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8858 / 51°53'8"N

Longitude: -5.2971 / 5°17'49"W

OS Eastings: 173198

OS Northings: 225947

OS Grid: SM731259

Mapcode National: GBR C4.R8S1

Mapcode Global: VH0TD.4VHP

Entry Name: Treleddyn Uchaf/Upper Treleddyn, including Garden Walls with Crosshead

Listing Date: 13 December 1951

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12737

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated at end of 0.5 km drive, shared with Treleddyn Isaf, north from Porthstinian road, some 200m E of Rhosson. The eastern farm of the two at Treleddyn.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Locality: Treleddyn

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

History

Circa 1770-80 small gentry house probably built from Thomas Williams, High Sheriff 1778.

Exterior

Two storeys, whitewashed roughcast with raised cement dressings, slate roofs, coped gables and roughcast end stacks. Double-depth plan with valley roof and four gable stacks. Three-window front of 12-pane sashes, that to first floor centre possibly oldest with thicker glazing bars. Painted slate sills and plain raised shouldered surrounds. Centre 2-panel door with overlight in rendered whitewashed flat porch with moulded cornice and painted wood Tudor arch to front. Paired gables W end with two loft windows and lean-to on ground floor. Lean-to has 9 pane sash in front end wall. Similar paired gabled E end with loft windows.

Rear wall is whitewashed rubble with long 18-pane stair light to centre and 12-pane first floor sash each side, all with painted stone voussoirs. One ground floor 4-pane sash to left.


Front garden: enclosed by low rubble walls with timber gate. Splayed carriage entry to right with half of original head of Cross in St David's attached.

Interior

Fine staircase in four dog-leg flights up to attic with painted wood 'Chinese Chippendale' openwork balustrade and thick ramped handrail. 6-panel doors, fireplaces all renewed. Ground floor NW room has fine wall cupboard with fielded panelled doors, the upper pair with arched panel and semi-circular recess within to serving hatch. Cornice over. First floor NW room had until later C20 a circular painted panel on ceiling, said to have had royal arms and cherub, accidentally destroyed in removal.

Reasons for Listing

Owned by Williams family from C16 and in early C19 by Bland family to which Dorothy Jordan (1788-1816), actress and mistress of William, Duke of Clarence, later William IV was related. She is said to have been a frequent visitor.

Included at II* as an especially fine small gentry house with a good interior and historical associations.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.