This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7151 / 51°42'54"N
Longitude: -5.0548 / 5°3'17"W
OS Eastings: 189068
OS Northings: 206233
OS Grid: SM890062
Mapcode National: GBR G5.X0LZ
Mapcode Global: VH1RY.B5K2
Plus Code: 9C3PPW8W+23
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Last Amended: 22 February 1993
Source ID: 12925
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in churchyard behind C20 shops in Gelleswick Road.
Community: Milford Haven (Aberdaugleddau)
Community: Milford Haven
Built-Up Area: Milford Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C15, possibly with earlier core, repaired 1866-7 and restored and enlarged 1929-31 by J B Fletcher of Cardiff.
Anglican parish Church in rubble stone with ashlar tracery and slte roofs. Small scale with Pembs type C15 W tower and low medieval nave and chancel, all stone vaulted. Of 1930 the two transepts, that to the N with symmetrical flanking porch and vestry, that to S with organ chamber to E. Tower has 1930 tracery to small W window, NW stair projection, corbelled parapet and pyramid recessed cap. Small unchamfered 2-light bell-openings. Nave has N and S 2-light with 1930 flush tracery. S blocked door, unchanfered pointed, and 1930 additions have coped shouldered gables and flush treceried 2-light transept windows and plain chamfered pointed doors to porch and vestry. Chancel has C15 perpendicular style S window and 3-light E winndow, pointed with hoodmould and carved head stops.
Plastered pointed vaults, fine square C13 font with scalloped lower edge and incised line above scalloping, Circular plain shaft. Chancel has N tomb recess and very fine C15 triple sedilia with octagonal shafts, no capitals but carved masks on two front faces of shafts under elaborately moulded triple-arched hoodmould. Low pointed N door to vestry. Early C18 tomb slabs to Allen family of Gelliswick under altar.
Fine C20 triple arch timber chancel screen with delicate cresting and tracery, the side bays being canted-fronted pulpit and reading desk. Early C20 reedos panelling and faded E window glass of c1881. Stained glass of 1980 in S transept and c1960in nave S window.
Listed as C15 Church that stands in churchyard extensively filled with late C18 to C20 memoria;s. Rubble retaining wall and 1930 lych-gate to N.
Other nearby listed buildings