This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9548 / 51°57'17"N
Longitude: -5.0918 / 5°5'30"W
OS Eastings: 187646
OS Northings: 232994
OS Grid: SM876329
Mapcode National: GBR CD.M5NY
Mapcode Global: VH1QR.P4J9
Plus Code: 9C3PXW35+W7
Entry Name: Row of outbuildings attached to E.of Carnachenwen
Listing Date: 29 April 1993
Last Amended: 29 April 1993
Source ID: 12948
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated some 700m NE of Trefelyn crossroads on Mathry to Abercastle road.
Community: Mathry (Mathri)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
House was owned by the Rogers family, originally English, lessees of Goodwick foreshore from 1702; but an estate map of 1767 in National Library of Wales calls farm 'part of estate of Miss Anne Tucker'. A noted Methodist centre in the early C19 under Blanch Maria Davies, a Rogers daughter, who is given as occupant on 1843 Tithe Map, when Ann Jones was owner.
C18 farmhouse dated 1743 and 1776, possibly including earlier work. Rubble stone, formerly rendered, with renewed slate roof, stone W end stack and red brick E stack. Two-storey, long front range divided by far projecting gabled porch, two-window range each side. Left side formerly had single long lean-to but roof has been lowered, except at left end to allow two 12-pane sash-windows to upper floor. Left end has corner date 1743 and single door into corbelled smoke-chamber, remodelled lean-to to right has two 12-pane sashes. Main entrance was formerly in position of right sash; porch had window at S end and was used as 'ystafell fwrdd', with table for farm-workers. To right of porch, two original 12-pane sashes above and two below, the left ones not aligned. C20 lintels replacing brick. Loft lights to end gables; light with wooden shutter in W end, first floor.
Rear of main house has 12-pane sash each floor to right, 1743 corner datestone and, to left, a lean-to, raised in renovation to above eaves level.
Rear NE wing has corner date 'W & M Rogers 1776', W side door and 12-pane sash below, with brick heads, 12-pane renewed sash above. Renewed N end stack. Rear E wall has mid C19 margin-glazed stair-light to left, and narrow 8-pane sash to right. Renewed 12-pane sash on ground floor.
Row of outbuildings: Attached to E end with corrugated iron roofs, the first with three doors, one framed in C19 brick and one with double doors; fourth door on N side (rear), and 1754 datestone, the second has higher roof and access from rear.
Much renewed but W end has massive inglenook with elm lintel. Bread oven and copper within and very unusual attached smoke chamber to S, conical roof of corbelled construction. Present two-room ground floor simplifies original plan. Unmoulded oak beams to W room. Long E room (in main wing) has chimney at E end. Small wall cupboard and two wall recesses on N wall. Long wall cupboard on W wall. C20 joists. Roof has 9 collar trusses, four older in oak, and two pine trusses have reused oak collars. Rear wing has stair with thick rail with arch-headed fielded panels and cupboards.
Other nearby listed buildings