This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9872 / 51°59'13"N
Longitude: -5.0113 / 5°0'40"W
OS Eastings: 193325
OS Northings: 236362
OS Grid: SM933363
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.JTYJ
Mapcode Global: VH1QM.392Z
Entry Name: Manorowen
Listing Date: 7 July 1980
Last Amended: 10 February 1995
Source ID: 13029
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W side of A 487 opposite Manorowen Church
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
c1830 country house with later additions, replacing possibly on new site the house recorded by Fenton as having belonged to his ancestor John Lewis in later C17, rebuilt for Richard Bowen before 1833, then sold 1839 to Dr Moses Griffith (d 1883). Owned subsequently by Rev. Thomas Johns (d1905) and descendants. Not marked on 1797 invasion map, marked on 1842 Tithe Map. Fenton says that original name was Manarnawen.
Unpainted stucco with slate roof and brick stacks. Roof is deep-eaved with paired brackets and hipped at N end. Two-storey, five-window range, probably originally three-window, extended by two-bays to left in matching style. First floor 12-pane sashes, ground floor tripartite 4-12-4-pane sashes with cement cornices. Half-glazed door in fourth bay in porch with two Roman Doric timber columns and C20 roof. N end wall has whitewashed stucco curved bay with similar window on each floor, and two-window range of 12-pane sashes to right, lower windows with matching cornices, brick ridge stack. Rear wing, part derelict with two successive lean-tos on S side. S end of main house has three-window range, hipped at SE angle with 12-pane, 8-pane and 12-pane window above, centre door and 12-pane each side with matching cement cornice. Door in simple open-pediment doorcase. Brick W stack.
Generally matching details, plain mutule cornices, four-panel doors, panelled shutters. Hall leading to stair hall to left with stick baluster dog-leg stair with ramped rail and moulded tread ends. Front left room has been doubled in size and there is another room, former morning room, beyond, and narrow stair possibly part of a later addition. Front right room has N end bay, mid C19 pelmets and reeded cornice. Rear wing has brick-arched cellar, former kitchen and remains of nursery above.
A good example of a late Georgian country house.
Other nearby listed buildings