This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9868 / 51°59'12"N
Longitude: -5.0097 / 5°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 193431
OS Northings: 236314
OS Grid: SM934363
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.JVDW
Mapcode Global: VH1QM.3BX8
Entry Name: St Marys Church
Listing Date: 10 February 1995
Last Amended: 10 February 1995
Source ID: 15205
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated 100m SE of Manorowen House, some 1.25 km S of Goodwick on the A487.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Marked on the 1837 Tithe Map and substantially rebuilt in 1872 to the plans of Foster and Wood of Bristol.
Rubble stone with grey stone dressings. Nave, chancel, N porch, S vestry and W bellcote. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and cross finials. Brick chimney on nave SE. Nave has three 2 light windows on S and two similar on N together with one single light window. Windows have odd brick trilobe decorative arches in two colour brick with infill of yellow brick crosses. One lancet on chancel N. E wall has 3 light window with similar brick head and memorial to Ursula Painter c1670 under. Gabled S vestry with 2 light S window. Bellcote pedimented with cross finial. Tiny lancet under bellcote. Stone porch c1925 with slate roof and inner pointed doorway with brick decoration similar to main windows. Oldest gravestone c1791.
Plastered walls with pointed arched reveals. Nave has two tie beam and king post trusses. Nave and chancel have rafter roof with scissor bracing. E window and the two larger N windows are First World War stained glass memorials by Powell. Coffin shaped slab to Richard Fenton, historian, on S wall of nave. Plain pine pews and pulpit. Pointed plastered chancel arch. Chancel has boarded roof and Victorian tessellated pavement in sanctuary (c1892). Oak altar rail with brass supports of same date.
Included for group value with Manorowen House, Home Farm buildings, the gazebo and walled garden. Good historical association with Richard Fenton, the early C19 historian of Pembrokeshire.
Other nearby listed buildings