History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Harmeston

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiers Cross, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7411 / 51°44'27"N

Longitude: -5.0063 / 5°0'22"W

OS Eastings: 192536

OS Northings: 208984

OS Grid: SM925089

Mapcode National: GBR G6.TFDJ

Mapcode Global: VH1RS.5HPN

Entry Name: Great Harmeston

Listing Date: 24 August 1989

Last Amended: 17 May 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13052

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 1½ km S of Johnston; reached by a track leading to S off the main road. Farm buildings to W.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Tiers Cross

Community: Tiers Cross

Locality: Johnston

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Johnston

History

Gentry house, C16 origins mostly earlier to mid C18 with some later additions. The first High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire was Sir Thomas Jones of Abermarlais and Harmeston in 1541, his brother was High Sheriff in 1574, and nephew in 1589. The estate passed to the Tancred family in the early C17, but by late C17 had been sold to David Hughes of Feinog, Dihewyd, Ceredigion, for whom it was probably rebuilt. He was there in 1705 and the Hughes family remained owners through the C18, passing by marriage to Thomas Davies of Nantgwylan, Llangynllo, Ceredigion, owner of East Harmeston (which may be this house), with Feinog and Nantgwylan in 1827, High Sheriff of Cards 1835.

Exterior

House, whitewashed roughcast rubble stone with steep slate roof, wide boarded eaves with paired dentils and rendered end stacks, larger to left. Two storeys and attic, six-bay front with narrow 8-pane ashes, some horned, and boarded door in third bay, formerly with gabled porch. Rubble stone lean-to on left end overlapping with single-storey corrugated-iron roofed range stepped down from left gable; includes one 12-pane sash. Narrower range set back beyond and small brick range on the end with a nogged band course. Rendered right end wall and rear wing behind with 4-panel door and earlier C19 5-sided bay with 8-pane sash windows apart from centre 16-pane sash.
Rear has twin gable ends with brick stacks; slate-hung upper floors, whitewashed rubble ground floor. Further sash windows are on the main front; an 8-pane sash to first floor right, 12-pane sash to ground floor right of centre, modern splay across angle of rear and cross-ranges. Low cross range at the junction of the main house and single-storey service/ agricultural range; the latter has swept roof over loft door reached by outside steps with landing over ground floor entry. Single storey range to right has door and tiny window.

Interior

Interior not available for inspection. Said to retain early to mid C18 interiors including staircase and substantial amounts of panelling; one room to the N cross-range has dentil cornice and fluted pilasters.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a substantial C18 gentry house of character, said to retain good interiors.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.