This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7673 / 51°46'2"N
Longitude: -4.911 / 4°54'39"W
OS Eastings: 199234
OS Northings: 211638
OS Grid: SM992116
Mapcode National: GBR CN.ZVXT
Mapcode Global: VH1RM.TVM1
Plus Code: 9C3QQ38Q+WH
Entry Name: East Hook
Listing Date: 2 April 1992
Last Amended: 22 April 2004
Source ID: 13065
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 2km E of Hook reached down a farm lane. Immediately beside the shell of the earlier (C16) farmhouse; farmyard to rear.
Built-Up Area: Hook
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house, largely earlier C18, with earlier core. Recorded in C16 to C17 as house of the Hicks family, yeomen. The heiress married John Jones, whose heiress married Richard Eynon, living at East Hook 1727. Passed by marriage to Richard Knethell, attorney, there in 1760 and 1786. Acquired later by the Harcourt Powell family, John H. Powell, Thomas H. Powell, High Sheriff 1864, and Capt. John H. Powell High Sheriff 1910. The family also lived at Drinkstone Park, Suffolk.
The house comprises two ranges: the S range with wing at right angles, forming an L-plan, the N range in line with the main part of the S range. The N chimney-end of the S range may be pre C17, its gable thickened when the N range was added in the C17, but the rest of the S range seems of the early C18 either rebuilt as an L-shaped building or with the wing added not long after obscuring two bays of what could have been a five-bay facade . The N range was refitted and rewindowed in the C18. Restored from dereliction 2003.
The position and purpose of the detached roofless building is confusing, now an outbuilding, the massive chimney looks domestic and late C16 or early C17 but the range could not have joined the present house.
House, rubble stone and some render, renewed 2003. Slate roofs. Two storeys, two ranges. The taller main range to right has an added wing projecting from left side of front making an L-plan and has a rear hipped stair tower. There is no formal facade because of the added wing, (presumably originally a five-bay facade) and the slightly lower service wing beyond has an irregular front. Nearly all windows are renewed narrow 8-pane sashes with slate sills. Main range has roughcast end stacks, larger to left and painted rendered W facade to right of added wing. This facade has 3-window range of renewed 8-pane sashes, the door in innermost bay, in angle to wing. The wing is rubble stone with W end stack. Two-storey, 2-window range of renewed 8-pane horned sashes with stone voussoirs to S return, windowless W end and one first floor left 8-pane sash to N side, which has remnants of whitewash.
The range to left has slightly lower roof and remains of whitewash. Lean-to porch in angle to right with cambered-headed entry with stone voussoirs to right and small loop in left end wall. Within, but not in line with entry, is door with stone voussoirs. One 2-pane sash window to first floor centre with slab lintel, tiny square window to ground floor left with stone voussoirs (? a fire-place window, but no chimney on N end gable).
Main range S end is rendered, rear is rubble stone and has large roughly stepped buttress at left corner, 8-pane sash to ground floor left with concrete lintel, hipped stair tower to centre with 2 rows of dove-holes in S side wall, E end large 8-pane stair light with stone voussoirs, over narrow ground floor window, windowless N side with lean-to on ground floor. Main house to right has remnant of whitewash, 8-pane sash with timber lintel to first floor left, bigger 8-pane sash to ground floor slightly further right. Range to right has continuous stonework, partly whitewashed, three first floor 8-pane sashes with slab lintels the centre one inserted and ground floor openings not aligned: bigger 8-pane sash left of centre, small square window with slab lintel and inserted door with concrete lintel to right.
A single-storey outbuilding continues the line to N, much modernised. E side has square window, door with stone voussoirs and another square window set low, all renewed. Big 2003 window in N gable end. W rear has three new windows.
Interior not fully inspected: the cross-passage leading to the stair lined with C18 panelling mentioned in 1992 has lost the left side, opened into main room. Panelling survives on right wall to S end room, with small square fielded panels. Wide dog-leg stairs with shaped splat balusters in rear stair tower, panelled doors and panelled reveals, close-spaced beams. In the wing ground floor room has fielded panelling restored in 2003 with central cupboard recess. Some simple 2-panel doors. Wide fireplace to N kitchen.
Listed for the special interest as a substantial gentry house of the C18 probably with earlier origins.
Other nearby listed buildings