History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote at Great Nash

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangwm, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7534 / 51°45'12"N

Longitude: -4.9333 / 4°55'59"W

OS Eastings: 197632

OS Northings: 210150

OS Grid: SM976101

Mapcode National: GBR G8.7NPL

Mapcode Global: VH1RT.F6T5

Entry Name: Dovecote at Great Nash

Listing Date: 21 April 2004

Last Amended: 22 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82673

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Among agricultural buildings on the S side of the drive to Great Nash.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Llangwm

Community: Llangwm

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Llangwm

History

Dovecote, uncertain date possibly late medieval or C16, similar to the one at Rosemarket. Great Nash was an important gentry house, replaced by the present farmhouse in the C18. Recorded as occupied by the Nash family C15-C16, the heiress marrying Alban Philipps, a younger son of Picton. The Philipps were followed before 1670 by one of the Corbetts of Ynysmaengwyn, Merioneths. The house then had 6 hearths. Dorothy Corbett married a son of Sir Hugh Owen of Orielton before 1704. Their son Wyrriott Owen died 1773, his son Hugh died 1809. In 1811 when the house was ruined and the woods cut down, Fenton described the house as having been fashionable for its date, a sort of cube, i.e. possibly later C17.

Exterior

Dovecote, rubble stone circular with remnants of roughcast. Domed roof in 3 steps with stone shelf courses between, presumably with circular top entry. No opening except for a small S entry, apparently broken through. Said to have had a door on the E now blocked.

Interior

Interior inaccessible, but lined with stone nesting boxes said to number about 200.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a large and impressive late medieval or C16 dovecote.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milepost at Trooper's Inn
    Located on the E side of the road some 40m N of the road junction at Trooper's Inn.
  • II Ashdale House
    Some 600m SW of the church at Llangwm approached by a long drive from the S at Hill Mountain.
  • II Church of Saint Jerome
    In a prominent position on the W side of the main road N through Llangwm village.
  • II East Hook
    Approximately 2km E of Hook reached down a farm lane. Immediately beside the shell of the earlier (C16) farmhouse; farmyard to rear.
  • II Ruined outbuilding at East Hook
    Located near to and on the NW side of the house at East Hook.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.