This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8687 / 51°52'7"N
Longitude: -4.966 / 4°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 195901
OS Northings: 223057
OS Grid: SM959230
Mapcode National: GBR CL.SDWT
Mapcode Global: VH1R6.W91B
Plus Code: 9C3QV29M+FJ
Entry Name: Treffgarne Lodge
Listing Date: 28 October 1992
Last Amended: 7 August 2002
Source ID: 13070
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the junction with the A40 at the foot of the hill leading up to Treffgarne village; faces the drive to Treffgarne Hall which also leads to Barris Hill.
Community: Wolfscastle (Cas-blaidd)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Lodge to Treffgarne Hall, c 1840, simple Georgian Gothic style. The lodge faces over the S drive to Treffgarne Hall, which was contrived for maximum effect, running S along the river before returning N to the house. This drive is not marked on Campbell's map of c1827, but was probably made before the death of David Evans, who built the Hall, in 1841. Occupied in later C19 by Griffith Davies (d 1905) who is said to have designed and built Salem Baptist chapel in 1875, and prepared plans and specifications for repairs to Treffgarne church.. There was a small farm with the lodge, occupied by Mrs Miriam Williams 1926. Disused when listed in 1992, and still disused and deteriorating in 2002.
Lodge to Treffgarne Hall, rubble stone with slate overhanging-eaves roof and central roughcast ridge chimney. Single-storey with loft, double-fronted with scallopped valance to eaves. Two windows and centre door set within 3 broad pointed recesses with slate voussoirs. Segmental-pointed heads to the 3 openings, these also with thin slate voussoirs. Slate sills. Windows are boarded over (2002), apparently paired casements, each light with segmental head. Double board doors with thick wrought iron strap hinges and iron ring handle.
End walls have overhanging verges, similar but smaller loft windows in arched recesses, both window heads and recess arches with slate voussoirs, the windows paired iron casements each with cambered head.
Rear NW added wing in grey limestone rubble with N side board door and window, brick heads and brick end stack. Rear SW has lean-to addition with one window in S end wall.
There were rock-faced late C19 stone gatepiers attached, like those at Treffgarne Hall, two each side of drive, but one on roadside by the lodge has collapsed.
Included, notwithstanding its deteriorating condition, as a picturesque earlier C19 Gothic lodge. Group value with Treffgarne Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings