History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolfscastle (Cas-blaidd), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8729 / 51°52'22"N

Longitude: -4.9689 / 4°58'8"W

OS Eastings: 195719

OS Northings: 223537

OS Grid: SM957235

Mapcode National: GBR CL.S05F

Mapcode Global: VH1R6.T6H2

Entry Name: Church Hill House

Listing Date: 7 August 2002

Last Amended: 7 August 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26841

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 2.7 km S of Wolfscastle in Treffgarne approximately 150m S of the Church of Saint Michael.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Wolfscastle (Cas-blaidd)

Community: Wolfscastle

Locality: Treffgarne

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Treffgarne

History

Former rectory, built in 1832 for David Evans of Treffgarne Hall according to S. Lewis, apparently on an older site, as deeds are said to go back to 1780. Said to have a date of 1837 on a roof timber.

Exterior

House, roughcast with grouted slate pyramid roof, flat eaves, and apex roughcast stack. Two-storey, 3-window range raised on a basement. Twelve-pane sashes with tooled slate sills, the lower windows with cambered heads. Earlier C20 centre door with overlight, door in much eroded stuccoed porch of 2 columns with flat roof formerly corniced. Three slate steps up.
Windowless W end wall, E end wall has mostly blank windows, two to upper floor and one 12-pane sash, and two to ground floor (left and centre). Raised plinth with window each side of blank window. Rear has large centre pointed stair light with small panes, blank window and 12-pane sash to first floor, 12-pane sash each side to ground floor. Raised plinth has small basement light to left and board door to centre. Small attached outbuilding to right has stone end stack, board door and 12-pane sash with 9-pane light above, both small and separated by a timber lintel.

Interior

Centre passage hall with 6-panel door each side and staircase at end. Dog-leg stair with turned newels. 6-panel cellar door next stair. Small square front rooms with renewed fireplaces on N walls. Kitchen in rear NE, with slate slabs and hooks in ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a late Georgian rectory of distinctive pyramid-roofed design.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Treffgarne Lodge
    Set back from the junction with the A40 at the foot of the hill leading up to Treffgarne village; faces the drive to Treffgarne Hall which also leads to Barris Hill.
  • II Treffgarne Hall
    Situated some 2.7 km S of Wolfscastle on the W side of Treffgarne.
  • II Outbuilding to N of Treffgarne Hall
    Situated just N of rear wing at Treffgarne Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.