This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0805 / 52°4'49"N
Longitude: -4.6807 / 4°40'50"W
OS Eastings: 216404
OS Northings: 245855
OS Grid: SN164458
Mapcode National: GBR CY.C5M2
Mapcode Global: VH2MN.TYBY
Plus Code: 9C4Q38J9+6P
Entry Name: Ruins of Abbey of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 November 1993
Last Amended: 15 November 1993
Source ID: 13102
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated S of the parish church.
Community: St. Dogmaels (Llandudoch)
Community: St. Dogmaels
Built-Up Area: St Dogmaels
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Founded 1115 by the FitzMartin family, Lords of Cemais. Ruins of medieval abbey of the Order of Tiron. Originally built in the earlier C12 as aisled church with apsidal E end and transept chapels, uncompleted; remodelled in C13, aisleless with rebuilt transepts, lengthened E end over a small crypt. Further altered in early C14, when W end was built and NW door added, and in the early C16 when the N transept was given fan vaulting. Extensive monastic buildings were to the S of the Abbey, and a detached building of the late C13, possibly an infirmary chapel or infirmary to the SE.
The abbey walls survive to substantial height on the W end, N wall and N transept, and the E end crypt walls survive. Elsewhere low walls or foundations, except for the infirmary which has three walls intact, and part of the rough stone vault. Collected carved stonework in the infirmary, and several of the incised stones formerly in the parish church are collected against the S wall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 73
Other nearby listed buildings