History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bryntirion

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Dogmaels (Llandudoch), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.102 / 52°6'7"N

Longitude: -4.7095 / 4°42'34"W

OS Eastings: 214523

OS Northings: 248310

OS Grid: SN145483

Mapcode National: GBR CX.9QJ5

Mapcode Global: VH2MN.BF4H

Plus Code: 9C4Q472R+Q6

Entry Name: Bryntirion

Listing Date: 15 November 1993

Last Amended: 15 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13108

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on hill top some 1km W of Poppit, approached by zig-zag drive from Bryntirion Lodge.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. Dogmaels (Llandudoch)

Community: St. Dogmaels

Locality: Cippyn

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Towyn

Exterior

Circa 1820 house in rubble stone with slate roof and rebuilt red brick end stacks. Basement and two storeys, formal 3-window front of large 12-pane sashes with slate sills. Centre broad doorway with radiating bar fanlight above 4-panel door with fielded-panel side-pieces. Timber lintels over all ground floor openings, the front presumably previously colourwashed or roughcast. Ground floor windows have big panelled shutters in boxes. Basement window to ground floor left. Two linked rear wings, the N one possibly later, chimney to right gable, centre platform to former first floor door, door below. Long pointed stair light to S side of S wing, with intersecting tracery to sash.

Interior

Broad entrance hall, 6-panel doors to both front rooms which have a balancing false door within for symmetry, panelled shutters. SE room has timber fireplace surround with fluted pilasters. Dog-leg stair with stick balusters. 4-panel door with lozenge tracery overlight to rear passage, possibly once external.

Reasons for Listing

A House of unusual architectural formality in the area. Marked on 1838 Tithe Map as owned by Benjamin Hall Esq and William James, occupied by Williams James, with lands of 37 acres.s

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penparc
    Situated opposite Delfryn, on lane from Cippyn running N. No longer in domestic use. In poor state of preservation at time of survey (1992).
  • II Former Rocket Apparatus Store
    Situated by roadside at entry to Seaview (Youth Hostel).
  • II Manian Fawr
    Situated down 600m drive running east of B4546 from junction some 150m south of Webley Hotel.
  • II Penrhyn Castle
    Situated overlooking sea, approach by track of some 400m running N off lane, some 1km NW of Poppit Lifeboat House.
  • II* Albro Castle
    Situated down track running west off Poppit Road, just on St Dogmael's north boundary.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.