This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4679 / 51°28'4"N
Longitude: -3.4255 / 3°25'31"W
OS Eastings: 301078
OS Northings: 175288
OS Grid: ST010752
Mapcode National: GBR HL.LR36
Mapcode Global: VH6F8.KCYK
Plus Code: 9C3RFH9F+5R
Entry Name: Great House (Ty Mawr), Aberthin
Listing Date: 16 December 1952
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 13132
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In large walled garden about 300m E of centre of Aberthin; on N side of Nant Aberthin.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian (Y Bont-faen a Llanfleiddan)
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian
Traditional County: Glamorgan
For full details of history and architecture of the house, see Greater Houses pp255ff. The house was built in the 2nd quarter of the C17, probably by William Thomas. A (lost) sundial on the porch was inscribed "RW 1658", probably referring to Robert, the son of William ap Thomas, who took the surname Williams. The porch is thought to be contemporary with the addition in the NE angle of the T-plan house. Although there
is no evidence of an earlier house on the site, the quoins are re-used and C13 in form, perhaps robbed from one of the nearby mutilated castles.
Gentry house. T-plan with long block facing S, and rear block in centre; added structure in NE angle. Slate roof, diagonal stacks, rendered walls with exposed quoins, stone mullioned windows. Three storeys, three bays defined by large gables with 2-light windows; on first floor, similar 3-light windows, with additional 2-light windows between. On ground floor, central gabled porch (over main doorway offset to L); to R, two-3-light windows, to L, 3-light window and 2-light window. Porch with ball finial and Tudor arched doorway; sundial with inscription "UT HORA SIC VITA". R gable end has a 2-light windows on first and second floors, 3-light window on ground floor. Left gable end has 2-light window to second floor, two single light windows to first floor, and on ground floor, 3-light window, and, to S, Tudor doorway. In NE angle between rear wing and front block, roof sweeps down over added structure with 2-light window and doorway.
Divided into 4 units on both main floors by original timber partitions. Small lobby.
Original wooden stair has, between each floor, 3 short flights and corner landings in square well; turned balusters, moulded handrail, square newels with round finials, and pendants. Parlour, to W, has stone fireplace with Tudor-arched head; E wall retains original oak panelling; C 18 doors. Central hall (E of stair) has fireplace with moulded head; chamfered beam with ogee stops. Kitchen has wide fireplace with Tudor-arched head; stop-chamfered ceiling beam. Rear wing separated from main block by framed
partition. On first floor, room over parlour has C17 fireplace, framed and panelled doors. Blocked C17 fireplace in room over hall. Original detailing also on upper floor, eg doorways, fireplaces, beams. Much of the original roof structure, and some purlins remain.
Graded II* as remarkably well-preserved example of early C17 gentry house.
Other nearby listed buildings