This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5391 / 51°32'20"N
Longitude: -3.4322 / 3°25'56"W
OS Eastings: 300765
OS Northings: 183218
OS Grid: ST007832
Mapcode National: GBR HL.G9DF
Mapcode Global: VH6DW.GKCZ
Plus Code: 9C3RGHQ9+J4
Entry Name: Stable block at Llanharan House
Listing Date: 22 February 1963
Last Amended: 14 November 2000
Source ID: 13157
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the SE side of the house.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Brynna
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably built in the first half of the C18 by Rees Powell, contemporary with the house. A rear loose-box wing was built in the period 1856-75 by John Blandy-Jenkins and is first shown on the 1875 Ordnance Survey. The stables were converted to domestic accommodation in 1996 by the Parker Renwick Partnership.
Llanharan House was built by Rees Powell before 1750 and was subsequently enlarged by Richard Hoare Jenkins in the early C19, with additions by the Blandy-Jenkins family later in the C19.
Built across a sloping site and of 2 storeys, and basement to the W side, built of rubble stone with a hipped slate roof, which has added brick stacks behind and added skylights. The front (S) wall is 5 bays with horned sashes under keyed heads, and with small lunettes to the upper storey. The gabled centre bay is brought forward and has external stone steps leading up to a doorway with a keyed flat arch beneath a floating pediment on brackets. In the gable is a C19 sundial. On the W side are 2 basement openings comprising round headed doorways (now converted as windows).
The rear has a higher 2-stage stair tower offset to the R, under a hipped roof with plat band and small stair light. A door and window in its L side wall are beneath a single segmental arch. To the L of the stair is a round-headed doorway flanked by windows renewed in original segmental-headed openings, with loft doors further L under a gablet and above 2 small windows. A further segmental-headed window is at the L end. To the R of the stair tower is an added loose box wing which has 3 small windows renewed. Its W gable end, continuous with the wall between house and stable, has ball finials to the eaves and a carved running fox to the apex. In the gable is an armorial tablet bearing the arms of John Blandy-Jenkins.
The interior is converted for domestic accommodation. The basement comprises 2 tunnel-vaulted rooms.
Listed as a fine C18 stable block with C19 addition, and for group value with Llanharan House and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings