History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Free Church (Ramoth Chapel)

A Grade II Listed Building in Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4636 / 51°27'49"N

Longitude: -3.4531 / 3°27'11"W

OS Eastings: 299152

OS Northings: 174850

OS Grid: SS991748

Mapcode National: GBR HK.M44J

Mapcode Global: VH6F8.3GBV

Entry Name: United Free Church (Ramoth Chapel)

Listing Date: 3 February 1981

Last Amended: 16 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13238

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: To rear of No 21 Westgate, in own precinct.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian (Y Bont-faen a Llanfleiddan)

Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian

Locality: Cowbridge

Built-Up Area: Cowbridge

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cowbridge

History

Originally Ramoth Baptist Chapel. Dated 1828 externally.

Exterior

Early C19 chapel with square plan. Stucco. Steeply-pitched hipped slate roof. Front elevation with quoins; central semi-circular doorway in arcading with double-leaf doors (restored), each of three moulded and fielded panels. Round-headed sash window above and a tall round-headed sash window to each side. Datestone above central window "Ramoth 1828". Side elevations of 2 windows; rear elevation of 2 windows. Modern single-storey extensions to N and W. NW and SE stone rubble walls to chapel yard lined on inner sides by C19 headstones, some dating from early to mid C19, such as the shaped headstone to Anne, wife of Evan Llewelyn of Aberthin, who died August 22 1834.

Interior

Remarkably well-preserved interior of early C19 character. Panelled lobby with gallery stairs to each side, panelled doors to chapel. Three-sided gallery on classical iron columns has wooden panelled frontal; early C19 gallery benches; straight and turned balusters to stairs. Body of chapel retains full set of early-to-mid C19 box pews. Pulpit with flanking stairs has turned and straingt balusters. Panelled doors to W hall. Immersion font below floor to front of pulpit.
Original roof structure said to remain above modern suspended ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Remarkably well-preserved early C19 chapel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.