This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4241 / 51°25'26"N
Longitude: -3.5566 / 3°33'23"W
OS Eastings: 291867
OS Northings: 170608
OS Grid: SS918706
Mapcode National: GBR HF.PG41
Mapcode Global: VH5HY.9GML
Plus Code: 9C3RCCFV+M9
Entry Name: Dovecote of Monknash Grange
Listing Date: 10 September 1982
Last Amended: 19 January 2005
Source ID: 13314
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the field behind the remains of the Tithe Barn.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Donats (Sain Dunwyd)
Community: St. Donats
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The remains of the probably C13 agricultural buildings at Monknash comprise part of a grange of the Cistercian Abbey of Neath, founded in 1129-30 by Richard de Granville, who endowed the Abbey with his fee at Monknash at the same time. The dovecote could be later than this, possibly C14.
Built of squared and coursed local limestone rubble. The dovecote is a cylindrical stone structure, the external walls partly obscured by ivy. There is a doorway in the northern part of wall. The structure is about 5m high and is roofless.
Not inspected at resurvey, but known to retain some nesting boxes.
Included for its special interest as a surviving medieval dovecote.
The dovecote comprises part of Scheduled Ancient Monument Glamorgan No. 143.
Other nearby listed buildings