This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3944 / 51°23'39"N
Longitude: -3.2886 / 3°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 310443
OS Northings: 166940
OS Grid: ST104669
Mapcode National: GBR HS.RHHD
Mapcode Global: VH6FQ.Y69W
Plus Code: 9C3R9PV6+QH
Entry Name: Former Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 30 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 March 1995
Source ID: 13395
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near junction with Park Avenue, in churchyard with C18 and early C19 monuments.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Barry (Y Barri)
Built-Up Area: Barry
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1874-76 on site of medieval church of Barry village; architect John Romilly Allen, who claimed to have followed general outline of old church. Became redundant in early C20 after building of nearby All Saints' Church 1908; now used as scouting centre.
Lancet style. Grey stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs with inserted lights. Nave with double belcote, S porch, lower chancel, low stepped buttresses to angles. To W, stepped belcote with 2 bell arches; lancet window over which is shallow corbelled arch which runs up into belcote. S gabled porch with pointed doorway, low clasping buttresses; to W of porch, lancet, to R, paired window, and lancet; N wall of nave has 3 lancets. Chancel (stepped down) has two lancets to S wall, triple lancet E window, N wall has single lancet, and lean-to vestry.
Finely dressed limestone, painted over. Converted to 2-storeys for use as Scouting centre.
Included principally for historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings