This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4 / 51°24'0"N
Longitude: -3.2783 / 3°16'41"W
OS Eastings: 311173
OS Northings: 167552
OS Grid: ST111675
Mapcode National: GBR HT.R03J
Mapcode Global: VH6FR.428K
Entry Name: North Hydraulic Pumping House
Listing Date: 20 August 1992
Last Amended: 30 March 1995
Source ID: 13468
Building Class: Industrial
Location: At NW corner of No 1 Dock, set back from the dock side.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Barry (Y Barri)
Locality: Barry Docks
Built-Up Area: Barry
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1880''s to provide hydraulic power to operate coal; drops, lock gates, swing bridges and other equipment around the new docks.
Two ranges in red and blue engineering brick in matching styles with corbel-headed panels and segmental arched small-pane windows. Both had double-gabled roofs constructed of wrought-iron trusses and partially timber-panelled ceilings, a slate covering, and raised louvred roof-lights.
North range contained workshops and hydraulic controls and has 2 gables at each end of 3 bays width, with a dividing wall running down the middle. This range is the longer (9 bays). There are segmental-arched windows at one level, with round windows to the gables. The western section has a dado in brown glazed tiles and gauges fixed to one wall, and a travelling crane by East Ferry Road Engineering Works, Millwall, dated 1912. The Eastern section contains smithy hearths and the main chimney rising through the roof. The chimney is of square section, circa 42m high, tapering to a corbelled band, and a massively-corbelled ring.
The south range contained the boilers and steam engines and has two gables to each end, each of 3 bays width. There are segmental arched windows at ground level, with circular openings to the gables and a partial basement for servicing the plant. Several windows retain wooden multi-pane frames. Engine beds of concrete and granite blocks survive although the plant has been removed. Short cast-iron pipes are fixed vertically to the walls at regular intervals. The hydraulic accumulator tower itself stood at the N of the building but has been demolished.
Listed as one of the few hydraulic power houses remaining in Wales, part of this important dock complex.
Other nearby listed buildings