This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5499 / 51°32'59"N
Longitude: -3.1204 / 3°7'13"W
OS Eastings: 322411
OS Northings: 184043
OS Grid: ST224840
Mapcode National: GBR J0.FHV9
Mapcode Global: VH6F1.V9RN
Entry Name: Terraces and ornamental structures to SE of Cefn Mably
Listing Date: 16 November 1987
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 13571
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: To SE of and downhill from the house, overlooking the extensive wooded parkland toward River Rhymney.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Locality: Cefn Mably
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Cefn Mably dates from the late C16 and was extensively remodelled in the early C18 and again at the end of the C19. The garden on the S side of the house was probably originally a smooth slope with a stone revetment wall. The present terraces were laid out by Sir Charles Kemeys in the early C18, incorporating the earlier revetment. The house was sold to Lord Tredegar in 1920 and in 1924 became a tuberculosis hospital. Subsequently the terraces were substantially rebuilt in stone and concrete and turrets, a pavilion and a gazebo were added.
The hospital closed c1980 since when the house has been uninhabited. After a fire in 1994 which gutted most of the house the garden features have suffered vandalism.
The terraces form 2 levels overlooking the Rhymney valley and are retained by rubble-stone and concrete revetments on the S and E sides. They have concrete and stone steps and piers. The upper terrace is laid with tarmac. It has a round turret at the SE angle and a low parapet on its S side in which there are 2 pairs of piers, on the W side leading to an octagonal turret on the W wall (erected in 1943 and dedicated to Dr Powell), and a mid C20 gazebo overlooking the valley below. The gazebo is built of coursed rubble and has a pyramidal stone-tile roof. The W and N sides are open, the S and E sides have 2 windows each.
The easternmost pair of piers on the upper terrace lead to concrete steps to the lower level (the winter garden), where there is a pavilion against the N wall. It is built of coursed stone with a central doorway flanked by windows, with similar windows to the return elevations, all with concrete architraves. A portico of fluted concrete piers and moulded entablature supports the former flat roof which was used as a viewing platform.
Included for group value with Cefn Mably and walls of former kitchen garden.
Other nearby listed buildings