This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5399 / 51°32'23"N
Longitude: -3.122 / 3°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 322280
OS Northings: 182931
OS Grid: ST222829
Mapcode National: GBR J0.G9D4
Mapcode Global: VH6F1.TKWC
Entry Name: St Julian's Manor
Listing Date: 10 June 1977
Last Amended: 31 August 2000
Source ID: 13928
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In countryside N of St Mellons village but close to the M4 and just E of the Cardiff Gate interchange, reached by a track.
Community: Old St. Mellons (Hen Laneirwg)
Community: Old St. Mellons
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Plaque attached to rear wall of house has date 1649 though RCAHM plan is c 1760; it shows a screen dividing what is now a 2-fireplace room with stairs adjacent to main central fireplace. Garden facing porch apparently added late C20, as was interior panelling which reputedly came from a church. Chimneys appear to be C19 and possibly associated with a raised roof. When listed in 1977, plaque was apparently not visible. Formerly known as St Julian's Farm. Appears as L-shaped on Tithe Map of 1846 under name of Farm Shillian.
Large farmhouse. Of roughcast rendered stone with Welsh slate roof with yellow brick end and ridge stacks. Roughly L-shaped plan with main range and parallel cross wings to rear. 2 storeys and attic. All windows are renewed dark-stained wooden lattice casements. Garden frontage has a 3-window range: roof dormers to attic; at centre left on first floor is a painted metal plaque depicting a horse and rider with date 1649 and inscription Fairfax Covnoviror (?); ground floor has porch added to right, centre French window. Rough battered plinth to left. Lower rear parallel gabled 2-storey cross wings with similar fenestration and rear doorway with bracketed hood.
Interior has lobby entry plan, with door opening onto breast of fireplace. Main ground floor room extends across two bays with fireplace at each end; main fireplace is wide and deep and incorporates a bread oven. Parlour has a highish ceiling with 3 cross beams with slight chamfers. First floor rooms also have shallow chamfered beams.
Included as a substantial traditional regional farmhouse which has retained considerable character.
Other nearby listed buildings