This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4952 / 51°29'42"N
Longitude: -3.2182 / 3°13'5"W
OS Eastings: 315524
OS Northings: 178070
OS Grid: ST155780
Mapcode National: GBR K7F.CY
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5PH3
Entry Name: Lychgate and attached wall descending to the Cathedral
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 June 2003
Source ID: 13707
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The entrance to the Cathedral from The Cathedral Green.
Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dating probably from c1870. Built as part of the restoration of Llandaff Cathedral and designed by John Prichard. The wall is quite different in character and apparently more recent than the wall down to the east end of the Cathedral. John Speed in 1610 shows a stream running from St. Teilo's spring down both lines and no walls at all.
Both built of pink Radyr and grey Forest of Dean sandstones. Lychgate with pointed arch and stepped hipped stone roof with cruciform finial, stone modillions, buttresses, oak double gates. Wall extends downhill from the lychgate as far as the Prebendal House, interrupted by a flight of steps to the Cathedral. Low wall with castellated ramped stone coping. Flight of steps to the cathedral flanked by Radyr stone piers.
Included as a handsome lychgate designed by John Prichard and having group value with the Cathedral and all the listed buildings on The Cathedral Green.
Other nearby listed buildings