History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The City Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandaff, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4951 / 51°29'42"N

Longitude: -3.2185 / 3°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 315504

OS Northings: 178053

OS Grid: ST155780

Mapcode National: GBR K7G.90

Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5PB7

Entry Name: The City Cross

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Last Amended: 30 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13712

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: In the centre of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)

Community: Llandaff

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

The Cross is evidently of at least three dates. Medieval, possibly C13 in origin, restored and with the cross-head turned through 90 degrees in 1897 as a part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations for Queen Victoria. Only the socket stone and the bottom section of the shaft are possibly early medieval, the rest is of uncertain date. There would be no reason to suppose that it is not the cross indicated on John Speed's plan of 1610 where it is shown in the same position near the stocks and maypole, but with its pre-1897 orientation. This, however, cannot be entirely the case as the Cross is shown without its head in an engraving by H Gastineau in 1830. Preaching crosses are most usually C15 but this seems too clumsy a design for that time and so perhaps the C16 is the most likely date, when the two medieval stones were reused. It was then decapitated at some time, and restored in post 1830 possibly reusing the old head before being restored again and altered in 1897. It is by tradition the scene of the preaching of the Third Crusade by Archbishop Baldwin in 1188 as recorded by Giraldus Cambrensis.

Exterior

Restored cross of stone on four stepped square plinth of stone. Plinth inscribed as follows: ''The City Cross was reset, and the Green partially enclosed at the public cost, by the Llandaff Parish Council, in the year of our Lord 1897, being the sixtieth year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria. James R Buckley, Chairman.'' Broached socket stone going to an octagonal cross-shaft and a chamfered head.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a partly medieval preaching cross with important historic associations and group value with the surrounding listed buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.