This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.485 / 51°29'6"N
Longitude: -3.1741 / 3°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 318570
OS Northings: 176886
OS Grid: ST185768
Mapcode National: GBR KKK.7M
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.XXVY
Plus Code: 9C3RFRPG+29
Entry Name: Eglwys Dewi Sant (Formerly Church of St. Andrew)
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source ID: 13787
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In centre of crescent which is between St Andrew's Place and Dumfries Lane (Stuttgarter Strasse).
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Consecrated 1863 as St Andrew's Church. Re-consecrated as Eglwys Dewi Sant after the former Welsh church in Howard Gardens was destroyed during Second World War. Architects, John Pritchard and J P Seddon. Pritchard & Seddon's original design of 1859 was for elaborate cruciform-plan church with crossing tower and spire but was drastically curtailed, and the church completed more simply. Roof and chancel completed by Alexander Roos, architect to Bute Estate. Side Chapels 1884-86 to design of W Butterfield. The interior of the church has been re-planned with a partition across the nave, the 2 westernmost bays have been converted into a hall with meeting room above.
Early English Gothic church. External walls faced with multi-coloured stone rubble, bands of bathstone ashlar. Slate roofs. West end window of 2-lights with lancet window to either side; gabled former porch (now window) below, flanked to each side by a single light window. Five bay nave, low passage aisles, S porch. Clerestorey windows of ashlar pierced with 2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoils over. Two storey bay at W end of aisles. Two-light window to single bay chancel. East window of 3 lights with geometrical tracery. Lady Chapel (S) and north transept externally with paired gabled roofs, oculus and 2 windows to each gable. To E, on S side, roof sweeps down over bay with 4 round windows. Vestry to NE angle; 3-window flat-roofed block on NW side.
Walls now colourwashed. Scissor-braced roof. Nave arcade with Romanesque foliage capitals to low columns with superarches which rise to enclose clerestorey windows. Carved wood reredos with painted panels. Painted panels in Lady Chapel. Pulpit by E P Warren, 1886; stained glass includes chancel window by Lavers & Barraud (Suffer the Little Children c 1880); annunciation in S aisle c1917, Adoration of Kings (c 1923).
Interesting later C19 church on important site.
Other nearby listed buildings