This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4897 / 51°29'22"N
Longitude: -3.2541 / 3°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 313027
OS Northings: 177495
OS Grid: ST130774
Mapcode National: GBR HV.K66J
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.KT2C
Plus Code: 9C3RFPQW+V9
Entry Name: Ty Bronna
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 18 July 2002
Source ID: 13790
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Between Fairwater and St Fagan’s set back from the north side of the road on rising ground.
Community: Fairwater (Tyllgoed)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
House of 1903-1906 by C F A Voysey, architect, for Hastings Watson. The original architect's drawings survive (in RIBA Library), and show some differences from the completed building including projected use of tiled roofs, painted wooden windows without stone surrounds, lack of entrance porch. Conversion to hospital and later for ambulance service use, mid C20, with alterations to balcony, and to interior, including suspended ceilings, partitions, modern doors, removal and covering of fireplaces, alterations to fitted cupboards etc. Recent (pre-1997) thefts of Voyseyan cast-iron bedroom fireplaces, and some original doors. The design is very similar in character to Spade House, Voysey's design for H G Wells at Sandgate in Kent, 1899-1901. Lowicks near Frensham in Surrey of 1894 and Annesley Lodge, London of 1895 are also clear precursors. At time of resurvey (January 2002) the building retained little more than the external walls.
Sited along the slope with entrance in short west end and long south facing front of two full storeys over arcaded ground floor loggia. Roughcast elevations over red brick, battered buttresses from eaves to ground. Steeply pitched hipped roof currently (January 2002) covered in corrugated steel sheeting, two large rendered chimneys (retaining clay pots) to ridge, that to left, along ridge, that to right, across ridge. Bands of mullioned windows with exposed stone dressings; generally metal casement glazing with rectangular cames; these have largely been destroyed at resurvey, some survive on the first floor. West (entrance) end has porch with square pillars supporting upper floor room with hipped roof and wooden casement windows (now gone) to front and south. To right of porch, tall narrow window lights stairs; squarish windows at eaves, and each side of camber-headed recessed doorway (slate steps), half-glazed original door (not seen). South front divided into three bays by buttresses; top floor windows set at eaves have stone mullions (gone) and are arranged in strips. First floor has, to centre, recessed balcony (rebuilt parapet supported on buttresses)(this is blocked); dripmould over first floor windows similar to those above. At ground level, recessed arcaded loggia of 5 bays (arches filled in with blockwork); small slit window to left. East end has two windows to second floor (blocked), and to first floor, polygonal bow window with stone mullions (damaged); slate steps below window where ground rises to rear. To rear (not seen), two storeys in similar mode, with half-glazed door to garden entrance and to kitchen entrance, which has steps down to lower level.
Interior not seen at 2002 resurvey and the following description is taken from the list description made in September 1997:-
It retains much original character despite alterations, including skirtings, picture rails, door architraves, ventilators in chimney breasts with doves. Entrance leads to lobby with beamed ceiling. To right, wooden stair with closely spaced rails and oak handrail. At landing, arches to hall (at front of building) with beamed ceiling and tiled original fireplace; slate flagged floors to hall and service rooms to rear where kitchen has cupboards with typical Voysey pierced heart vents. Beyond hall, former drawing room lit by broad multi-light window on to balcony which has central Doric column, and door to each end with small-pane glazing. To rear, passage from kitchen to dining room which is entered via original boarded door with long strap hinges and metal latch. Dining room has fitted cupboards to right of bow window and (to right of entrance to balcony) arched recess whose cupboard has typical Voysey heart escutcheons. On upper floor, small bedroom to rear (west) corner retains cast-iron fireplace with three embossed hearts and deep cornice; (others recently stolen). On upper corridor, airing cupboard doors have pierced heart vents; two bathrooms with original boarded doors with long strap hinges and metal latches. Main bedroom (at east end) retains original tiled fireplace.
Listed, notwithstanding major external and internal alterations, as the only design in Wales by the internationally important architect, C F A Voysey.
Other nearby listed buildings