This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4869 / 51°29'12"N
Longitude: -3.2713 / 3°16'16"W
OS Eastings: 311823
OS Northings: 177201
OS Grid: ST118772
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KFW9
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.7WYK
Entry Name: West & South Boundary Walls of Gardens to St Fagans Castle
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13898
Building Class: Domestic
Location: One of the associated structures in the gardens of St Fagans Castle and part of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Post - 1870 and earlier. The portion to the north of the 1766 boundary and the site of former the St. Fagans Church was aquired as part of an exchange by the Plymouth Estate in c1870; thus the north boundary wall to this portion, now to the north of Stryt Lydan Barn, is of post 1870 date. Some of the walling to the south probably dates from the C18.
High wall of limestone, with rough capping, about 3m in height. The western stone boundary wall runs south from the gazebo firstly as far as east-west pathway to north of the 1766 boundary. The pathway runs out of the gardens through a gateway flanked by high piers of stone with ball finials. The west boundary wall then continues southwards over subway and southwards again, until from a corner just to north-east of Nos. 1 and 2 Twyn Cottages; this gateway has piers of stone laid in irregular courses with capping and ball finials and a pair of boarded gated with their heads in the form of downward turning curves. Secondly the wall then runs north-eastwards uphill to join the medieval curtain wall of the castle.
Included as one of the structures associated with the gardens and estate of St. Fagans Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings