This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5309 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -3.2533 / 3°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 313159
OS Northings: 182073
OS Grid: ST131820
Mapcode National: GBR HV.GSG7
Mapcode Global: VH6DZ.KSG9
Entry Name: Ivy House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 14 November 2000
Source ID: 13914
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Now confined between the River Taff and the embankment of the A470 and reached by an underpass. Front garden enclosed by a whitewashed stone rubble wall with congolomerate capping, brick piers with b
Built-Up Area: Taff's Well
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably C17. Probably identifiable with Tu (Ty) Gwenlas on Bowen and Kitchin's map of 1760. Owned before 1791 by William Price, owner of Pentyrch Ironworks. Glamorgan Canal constructed 1798 nearby, also Taff Vale Railway in 1840. Appears as Ivy House on OS first edition of 1875.
Small farmhouse. Two-storey house of two adjoining wings, later wing to NE with lower ridge to roof. Built of whitewashed stone rubble with Welsh slate roof, end and ridge stacks, two with C19 decorative yellow terracotta pots. Riverside (SW) wing has 2 window range of 2-light wood casements with small panes to heads; cambered headed to ground floor. Central painted yellow brick gabled porch with segmental arched doorway. Uphill (NE) wing has a single window range with similar windows to right and centre left gabled brick porch with pointed arched doorway. Extending on either side are single storey outshuts with small pointed arched windows with Gothick glazing.
Riverside - earlier - wing has large open fireplace with bread oven, spiral stone stairs beside, boxed cross beams; porch opens directly into this room with separate narrow downhill room and access to uphill wing through door beside fireplace. Uphill wing has corridor leading from second porch, parlour with replaced fireplace and separate staircase parallel with back wall; kitchen outshut.
Listed as a regional farmhouse retaining much of its historic fabric and with interesting historical associations.
Other nearby listed buildings