This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4841 / 51°29'2"N
Longitude: -3.2662 / 3°15'58"W
OS Eastings: 312174
OS Northings: 176885
OS Grid: ST121768
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KP58
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.BYNP
Plus Code: 9C3RFPMM+JG
Entry Name: Llanmaes House
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13919
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Off the road south from St Fagans and about 500m from the Church of St Mary the Virgin.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Built-Up Area: St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A probably early C19 classical style house, but considerably altered in the mid/late C20 when it was reroofed and re-chimneyed, and the way the windows are disposed suggests that the planning may also have been altered. A building apparently partially surrounding by water is shown on this site on Plymouth Estate Map of 1766 and on Parish Tithe Map of 1839.
Roughcast cladding with smooth render quoins and window dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof which has been rebuilt and given two new red brick stacks. House of two storeys with symmetrical three bay elevations. North-west elevation of three bays; 6 over 6 pane sash windows with glazing bars and stuccoed architraves, also on first floor with horns; on ground floor, a window to each side of modern porch.
South-west elevation also of three bays with a taller sash window in centre first floor bay.
Former single storey service wings at eastern end. These have been further altered and extended since listing and the pool rooms and swimming pool added.
The interior was not available for inspection at resurvey. The 1977 listing description reports that the interior has been altered in the late C19 and later; one ground floor room retains a semi-elliptical arch to each side of fireplace. Most of the windows retain their panelled shutters.
Included as a classical style villa which, despite enlargement, retains its character.
Other nearby listed buildings