History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St German's Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Adamsdown, Cardiff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4837 / 51°29'1"N

Longitude: -3.1578 / 3°9'28"W

OS Eastings: 319697

OS Northings: 176722

OS Grid: ST196767

Mapcode National: GBR KNL.W2

Mapcode Global: VH6F7.6YXY

Entry Name: St German's Court

Listing Date: 11 July 1984

Last Amended: 31 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14100

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On corner of of Metal Street and Tin Street.

County: Cardiff

Community: Adamsdown

Community: Adamsdown

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

Former St German's Church School. Dated 1874. By G F Bodley and T Garner, architects, of London. Arts and Crafts influenced, perhaps also inspired by St Fagan's Castle. The land had been given by Lord Tredegar, the building opened 5 July 1875; cost £3400.

Exterior

Former school, now converted to residential use. Tall 2-storey and attic longitudinal block with narrow gabled forebuilding on R and lower cross-range forward on L, later 2-storey block over entrance in angle to L. Steep tiled roofs, barge-boards (raised gables to outer wings), oversailing eaves, resdtored red brick stacks to front wall chimneys with set-offs (originally with polygonal stacks), ornamental brackets for bell on centre stack. Rendered walls, freestone dressings (painted) including sillband at 1st floor, hoodmould to ground floor and fleur-de-lys panels. Pair of large tiled gabled dormers with 4-light casement windows linked behind tiled eaves to 1st floor glazing, 2-light windows alternate below eaves, five 2-light mullioned and transomed widows (upper lights blocked) to ground floor. All windows (formerly with small-pane leaded glazing, now replaced by timber and metal frames. Right gable with 2-light Tudor attic window, pointed arch to stair entry for boys in return angle. Window treatment to Tin Street gable consists of single attic window, and 2 windows on first and ground floors. Left cross-range has one-and-a-half storeys, gable haswindow to each floor (blind window to apex), corner chimney to R; inner return has large tiled gabled dormer, 2 small pane windows to ground floor.

Modernised range to N along Metal Street not included.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as first contribution by Bodley to group consisting of St German's church, clergy house, and this former school. Group value with other nearby Bodley buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.