This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4834 / 51°29'0"N
Longitude: -3.1746 / 3°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 318535
OS Northings: 176700
OS Grid: ST185767
Mapcode National: GBR KKL.46
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.XZL7
Entry Name: ,5&6,Park Place,,,SOUTH GLAMORGAN,
Listing Date: 3 September 1984
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source ID: 14102
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Almost opposite Greyfriars' Road.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Circa 1876, by W D Blessley, architect. Restored 1987-89 by Wigley Fox Partnership.
Large Gothic semi-detached pair of houses, now modernised as offices. Three storeys, attic and basement. Snecked Pennant rubble with freestone dressings and weathered stringcourses. Hipped slate roofs, central chimney in red brick with stone upper courses. Sash glazing set in mullioned windows. Four windows wide; paired splayed bays to centre stop at first floor. Tall stone dormers with Gothic window and flanking shafts with carved capitals; smaller outer dormers.
Second floor has 3-light windows with cusped lights, and single-light windows to outer bays. First floor has fretted parapet to splayed bays, shouldered-arched windows with carved capitals. Gothic-arched entrances in outer ground floor bays up parapetted stairs; corbelled gabled hoods with carved capitals to wall shafts. Gothic windows to bays at this level. End elevations have projecting cut down chimney stacks.
Part of a group of well-preserved High Victorian middle-class houses in city centre.
Group value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings