This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3209 / 53°19'15"N
Longitude: -3.4881 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 300969
OS Northings: 381479
OS Grid: SJ009814
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z21.M7
Mapcode Global: WH653.DS6G
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 14 February 1994
Last Amended: 14 February 1994
Source ID: 14299
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Adjacent to the Church of Saint Thomas, facing down Church Street.
Community: Rhyl (Y Rhyl)
Built-Up Area: Rhyl
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in 1835 as a chapel of ease to Saint Mary’s Church, Rhuddlan, to designs of Thomas Jones, architect. It became a parish church when Rhyl was designated as a separate parish in 1844. As Rhyl rapidly developed as a resort, it was necessary first to extend the existing church - the transepts were extended to their present notably long form in 1850 and 1852 - and then to supplement it by the construction of a new church devoted to English services - the adjacent church of Saint Thomas was built 1860-9. The Church of the Holy Trinity remained the parish church, and is still used principally for Welsh services.
Roughly squared random rubble with slate roofs. Aisle-less nave nominated by long transepts; short chancel. Perpendicular style. West door in plain chamfered shallow projecting panel, with 4-centred arched doorway. Four-light window and trefoil over the doorway, and bellcote on gable above. Three-light windows to nave and to transepts, with porch in N transept, a chamfered 4-centred arched doorway. Five-light E window to chancel extended to the S in 1869 by a narrow vestry addition under a continuation of the main roof, and to the east in 1891. Three light windows to vestry and chancel N wall. Many of the windows, especially in the original parts of the building (nave, chancel and first bays of transepts) have cast-iron latticed glazing in lieu of leading.
Three-bay nave, with braced king-post roof with rafters. Similar roofs over transepts, which have both been subdivided by timber screens to form separate rooms at N and S ends. Encaustic tiled floor to chancel, plain panelled reredos of 1891 and pictorial stained glass by Ward and Hughes, of 1879 and 1881.
A well-detailed example of neo-Perpendicular church design, it has particular historical significance in the context of Rhyl’s development as a resort, reflecting both in its extension and in its justaposition with the later church of Saint Thomas, the rapid expansion of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings