This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6894 / 51°41'21"N
Longitude: -4.9518 / 4°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 196067
OS Northings: 203083
OS Grid: SM960030
Mapcode National: GBR G7.WPSF
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.4S0S
Plus Code: 9C3QM2QX+P7
Entry Name: Dry-Moat Walls
Listing Date: 18 January 1974
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 14371
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated on the crest of Treowen or Barrack Hill, some 300m S of, and overlooking the Royal Dockyard.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The superintendent engineer was Captain Farris RE, the contractor Thomas Jackson of Pimlico, work commenced 6/9/1841 and was completed 12/1/1846 to a cost of ú39,323/9/8.25d. Built to house the Royal Marines, in 1882 it become HQ of 9th Welsh Garrison Artillery Brigade. 1899 HQ Pembroke Fortress, 1914-18 HQ No 26 Pembs Fire Command, October 1914 became Siege Training School, 1926 HQ Coast Defences Welsh Ports. During World War Two 17 men were accidentally killed in a explosion. Post-1945 use for training Territorial artillery, and eventually sold to South Pembrokeshire Council as council store, and since sold again. S range rented as golf club house.One of the most unusual barrack buildings in Britain, probably the last example of a 'square bastion trace' fortification built in Europe. The form of the design dates back to C16 Italy, though Fort Worth, USA, of 1861 is later. The design was a compromise between the need to accommodate troops and the need to fortify the hill. It is doubtful whether the buildings achieved the latter adequately, as the buildings would not have resisted bombardment.
About 16 feet (4.87m) deep and up to 42 feet (12.80m) wide enclosing a 'square bastion trace' platform (square plan with arrow-shaped corner bastions). The scarp and counterscarp of the moat are faced in coursed rubble limestone with ashlar quoins. The floor of the moat is paved within the angle of the NW bastion and was used as a ball court. The moat is crossed on the N by a C20 steel stanchion bridge, replacing the original timber trestle bridge.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 379.
Other nearby listed buildings