This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6969 / 51°41'48"N
Longitude: -4.9556 / 4°57'20"W
OS Eastings: 195839
OS Northings: 203927
OS Grid: SM958039
Mapcode National: GBR G7.W2T3
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.2M01
Entry Name: The Graving Dock including Bollards and Cpstans
Listing Date: 18 January 1974
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 14393
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Situated between Western Camber and slip No 2, towards NW end of dockyard.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Dry dock is shown to present outline on 1858 map, where the length is given as 406 feet and width 91 feet. An 1832 plan in Public Record office shows a smaller 250 feet dry dock (ADM/140/429). There are records of the dock being enlarged 1858-61. (The Builder 9/1/1858, 9/3/1861).
Mid C19 dry dock, originally constructed c1820 but thoroughly remodelled in mid C19. Large scale with stepped sides of limestone ashlar and granite copings. Five steps (or 'altars') and one broad lowest step and three sets of steps down each side alternating with three chutes. Seaward end is narrowed with battered walls and slot for securing caisson. Ashlar quay wall extends each side, to No 2 Slip to W and Western Camber to E. S end narrows in with flights of steps down each side, that to E covered or removed for roadway. E end has been extended back in mass concrete, and accommodates (1993) former caisson, a steel-plated timber decked vessel formerly floated and lowered across dock entry.
Some 12 bollards each side all made by Sturges and Co, Bowling Ironworks, Bradford. Some damaged capstans, one to NE, one each side at S end, made by H. Grissell of Regents Park Ironworks, London ?1859.
Grade II* for its national importance as the best surviving dry dock in the Dockyard. Group value with other listed structures in Pembroke Dockyard.
Other nearby listed buildings