History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Llethr

A Grade II Listed Building in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8694 / 51°52'9"N

Longitude: -5.1182 / 5°7'5"W

OS Eastings: 185429

OS Northings: 223580

OS Grid: SM854235

Mapcode National: GBR CC.SK4H

Mapcode Global: VH1R4.78LR

Entry Name: Stable Block at Llethr

Listing Date: 15 February 1994

Last Amended: 15 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14406

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated facing W, to NE of house.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Brawdy (Breudeth)

Community: Brawdy

Locality: Llethr

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Newgale

History

Late C18 or early C19 stable block, extended 1861.

Exterior

Rubble stone with red brick dressings and asbestos-sheet hipped roof. Nine-window two-storey front, but originally of seven bays, with the ends being added, the S addition dated 1861. Three-window slightly projected centre with pediment. Red brick nogged eaves and pediment surround, red-brick window heads, cambered with keystones to ground floor, flat-headed generally above. Stone first floor sill course. Centrepiece has big brick-framed roundel in pediment, first floor centre loading door with big cambered brick head breaking into pediment with keystone and nogged brick arch-ring. Door is reached by symmetrical double set of stone outside steps framing ground floor door and carrying flat stone lintel. First floor windows each side of centre are blank, ground floor flanking windows are open. Two-window range each side has blank first floor inner window and door in ground floor outer bay. N end section is not obviously added, there is no sign of an earlier end wall within, but string course ceases. C20 full-height opening. S end has straight joint to added part, no string course, but brick eaves continued, one-window range to front, while end wall has two depressed-arched and cart-entries, with brick heads, plaque 1861 between and row of dove-holes above.

Interior

Interior floors mostly removed and roof replaced. In poor condition 1993.

Reasons for Listing

An unusually elaborate estate farm building; group value with the house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llethr
    Situated some 600m E of Penycwm, approached by track running NE from the Erw Lon estate. Llethr was owned by the Thomas family in early C19, David Thomas died 1823.
  • II* Church of St David
    Situated at Brawdy Farm, some 500m S of Rhydygele crossroads, which is some 1.5km NE of Penycwm.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.