This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0365 / 52°2'11"N
Longitude: -4.0838 / 4°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 257164
OS Northings: 239611
OS Grid: SN571396
Mapcode National: GBR DR.FX9J
Mapcode Global: VH4H9.52FP
Plus Code: 9C4Q2WP8+HF
Entry Name: Gelli Uchaf (also known as Gelli Gneuen)
Listing Date: 28 February 1994
Last Amended: 3 December 2002
Source ID: 14410
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1km NW of Rhydcymerau village, reached by track on the N side of a minor road between Rhydcymerau and Mynydd Llanybydder.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
An C18 house with an added attached byre, shown on the Tithe map of 1840. It was subsequently extended on the N side and was used as an office by a local auctioneer. The house in its present form is shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey.
A long 1½-storey house with former cow house at the S end and a higher 2-storey addition to the N end, of rubble stone painted white and slate roof, and C19 stone end stacks to the 2-storey N end, and ridge stack to the main range. The stack to the S gable end is a late C20 addition. The original part of the house contains 2 small casements in each storey, smaller and beneath the eaves in the upper storey. The original entrance was in the gable end but a new entrance was created when the cow house was added. Immediately to the L of the stack is a boarded door, originally opening to a cross passage, with small casement above, and a vertical joint above the R-hand jamb indicating the end of the original house. Further L is a single casement in a former cow-house doorway. The N end has a 12-pane horned sash window in each storey under segmental brick heads, and a panelled door to the L under an overlight with lozenge glazing. To the rear the N end has a sash window in the upper storey similar to the front. Further R is a half-lit door and a small window further R in the original house. The S gable end has stone-lintelled doorways R and L with boarded doors, and casement windows above.
Not inspected. In 1994 the building was observed to contain a remarkably well-preserved wickerwork fireplace-hood together with its smoke-window to rear. The farmhouse had unchamfered beams and was formerly composed of a hall with an outer room (see position of screen to north of the now blocked rear door). This outer room became heated when the 2-storey extension was added at the N end. Later timber stairs to front up to attic and 4-bay roof with pegged collar trusses. The attic was formerly lit by N gable window, the opening of which is visible in what is now the dividing wall between the original house and the 2-storey N end.
Listed as a vernacular farmhouse with in-line byre of a type once characteristic of the region, retaining a rare wickerwork fireplace hood.