This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2977 / 53°17'51"N
Longitude: -3.7295 / 3°43'46"W
OS Eastings: 284828
OS Northings: 379256
OS Grid: SH848792
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZD9.CL
Mapcode Global: WH655.PC7R
Plus Code: 9C5R77XC+35
Entry Name: Head Post Office
Listing Date: 25 July 1994
Last Amended: 25 July 1994
Source ID: 14698
Building Class: Communications
Location: Above the road and set back facing up Wynnstay Road; steps up to narrow terrace at either end and retaining contemporary handrails.
Community: Colwyn Bay (Bae Colwyn)
Community: Colwyn Bay
Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built c1923-26 (dated 1925) by C P Wilkinson, architect of the office of works. Enlarged in 1985.
Grandly detailed post-office in a neo-georgian style. 2-storey and attic red brick building with hipped roman tiled roof, dentilled eaves and egg and dart cornice. Symmetrical 7-bay front with channel-rusticated pilaster strips to ends and freestone window dressings. Small pane metal-frame casement glazing. Five pedimented dormers. The ground floor is distinctive for its liberal use of freestone facing including plinth, surrounds to the large semicircular headed windows, together with the similar doorways at either end, and the panelled pilasters between each opening; all arches have lions head keystones. The doorways have similarly glazed fanlights over guilloche moulded lintels with 'public entrance' inscribed panels, panelled double doors. 1st floor window surrounds have sills and cornices; modern PO signs between floors. Right hand end has projecting bay and downpipe dated 1925. Linked to this is a square-single storey building in similar style with bullseye window to centre (now with EIIR Jubilee Plaque); attached to right is a red brick screen wall including concave niche. To left is a single storey range of 3 bays including door to left; similar pilasters ect but has freestone blocking course and square headed openings with simpler keytones. The central window includes clock and downpipes here are dated 1925. Stepped forward beyond is the modern, but in keeping, extension. Cross-ranges to either end at rear.
Retains substantial amount of original detail and is entered through square shaped lobbies. At either end of Post Office hall are pilastered and panelled screens with half glazed doors and egg and dart and dentil cornices.
Listed as an especially good example of an inter-war post office, and of the Neo-georgian style of architecture favoured in the 1920's.
Other nearby listed buildings