This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2952 / 53°17'42"N
Longitude: -3.7271 / 3°43'37"W
OS Eastings: 284987
OS Northings: 378970
OS Grid: SH849789
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZDB.XH
Mapcode Global: WH655.QFDP
Plus Code: 9C5R77WF+35
Entry Name: Colwyn House
Listing Date: 25 July 1994
Last Amended: 25 July 1994
Source ID: 14720
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Towards the top of the street, almost opposite the Central Bar.
Community: Colwyn Bay (Bae Colwyn)
Community: Colwyn Bay
Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1933-7 by the local architect, S Colwyn Foulkes, for W S Wood’s Department Store, replacing an earlier building on the site.
White ashlar faced, the roof not visible behind high parapet. Romanesque style, a high 2 storeys with advanced shop front to ground floor, and arcaded windows to first floor. Ashlar pilasters to either side carry neo-Egyptian terms. Shop front itself renewed but following a similar layout to the original design, with doorways set to either side of deep central display, with doorways set to either side of deep central display window, and similar windows to either side of them. Above this, first floor windows form a 9-bay arcade, with low reliefs in tympana and variously patterned shafts. Heavy latticed windows. Arcaded corbel table.
The shop retains much of its original internal detail, comprising 2 large shopping floors, with panelled ceilings, and coffering to upper storey. Original staircase also survives.
The shop is an excellent example of work of S Colwyn Foulkes, and a highly original design for a commercial building.
Other nearby listed buildings