History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Turret in Station Approach

A Grade II Listed Building in Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3074 / 53°18'26"N

Longitude: -4.6312 / 4°37'52"W

OS Eastings: 224785

OS Northings: 382163

OS Grid: SH247821

Mapcode National: GBR GMYY.TML

Mapcode Global: WH31B.T4VB

Entry Name: Clock Turret in Station Approach

Listing Date: 25 July 1994

Last Amended: 25 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14735

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: In forecourt of entrance to Holyhead station and ferry terminal, reached via incline from main bridge over railway.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Holyhead

Built-Up Area: Holyhead

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Holyhead

History

Iron clock turret unveiled 17 June 1878 by Albert Edward, Prince of Wales to mark completion of old harbour extension; formerly stood approx 50m to N between former Station Hotel and dockside.

Exterior

Each side has clock-face with Roman numerals set in aedicule (clock by Joyce of Whitchurch); ribands below face; this stage surmounted by urn finial set on pyramidal roof. Lower stage has Ionic columns to corners supporting moulded cornice, and plaques with swan-necked pediments, and inscriptions. Panelled plinth; small doorway to S.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.