History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Train Shed at Holyhead Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3082 / 53°18'29"N

Longitude: -4.6303 / 4°37'49"W

OS Eastings: 224847

OS Northings: 382256

OS Grid: SH248822

Mapcode National: GBR GMYY.MT2

Mapcode Global: WH31B.V38P

Entry Name: Train Shed at Holyhead Station

Listing Date: 25 July 1994

Last Amended: 25 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14739

Building Class: Transport

Location: On E side of inner angle of Holyhead inner harbour.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Holyhead

Built-Up Area: Holyhead

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Holyhead

History

Development of station and hotel by LNWR 1876 to 1880 consisted of hotel at apex of inner harbour flanked by arrival (E) and departure (W) platforms. Covered by sheds with Euston type roofs. Hotel closed 1950's demolished with W platform circa 1979, leaving this former arrivals platform. W part of site subsequently redeveloped.

Exterior

Long curving train shed (approximately 300m long) in red brick with stone cornice and dressings, string courses of moulded yellow brick; roof covered in modern opaque and translucent corrugated materials, long ridge lantern. E side of shed consist of series of elliptical arches grouped in 18 bays of three articulted by pilasters, each bay has broader centra; arch with narrower arch to each side; four of these groups are open for access, others open only in lunettes for ventilation (some alterations to arches at S end).

Narrower NE end of shed, 3 bay of 3 arches in same style, modern brick gable end
W side of shed originally open to quay. Roof supported on iron columns on octagonal plinths, but many of these now encased in mid C20 brick service buildings (buffets etc). Towards SW end 14 arches of wall of former hotel remain in situ supporting roof. Red brick with stone dressings on stone plinth. Four groups of 3 segmentally arched windows, white glazed bricks to jambs, buff ceramic patent stone to heads and keystones. Between first 2 window groups.large doorway in same style; smaller doorway to centre in same style. Openings blocked in modern red brick.

Euston tpye iron roof, W side supported on cast iron brackets with fretted leaf decorationspringing from columns and lattice girders (similar brackets supported lost canopt to Quayside ). E side of roof sits on wall and ahed. Rooftrusses consist of framework of wrought - Iron tie bars of round or T section, cental sedtio Central section which encompasses ridge ventilator has round-sectioned cross bars and tensioners and further cast- iron brackets with leaf pattern used as ridge pieces. Platforms modernised in concrete with concrete or tarmac surfaces.

Reasons for Listing

Included for hisoric importance as remaining part of the major rebuilding of Holyhead Station. Believed to be the longest station train shed in Wales.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.