History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pantyffynnon Signal Box

A Grade II Listed Building in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7773 / 51°46'38"N

Longitude: -3.9976 / 3°59'51"W

OS Eastings: 262281

OS Northings: 210623

OS Grid: SN622106

Mapcode National: GBR DW.Z718

Mapcode Global: VH4JH.NLGD

Entry Name: Pantyffynnon Signal Box

Listing Date: 10 August 1994

Last Amended: 10 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14813

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated about 150m S of Pantyfynnon Station and on E side of railway line close to bridge over River Amman. The lines at Pantyffynnon junction merged to N of this signal box, from where railway move

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Ammanford (Rhydaman)

Community: Ammanford

Built-Up Area: Ammanford

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Ammanford

History

The line from Llanelli to Llandeilo was begun in 1835 by the Llanelli Dock and Railway Co., reaching Pontardulais in 1839 and Pantyffynnon in 1840. The Pantyffynnon signal box is of GWR type 5 with a design dating from 1889-92 and is notable for its design variation with gabled external porch-plus-closet supported on a brick pillar.

Exterior

Dark brick to locking room and porch with horizontal weatherboarding plus small-frame glazing to operating room. Gabled slate roofs with bargeboards and finials, ventilators under. Overall glazing to track side with horizontally sliding 3 2 pane sashes and short grabrails to outer bays. Name-plate under centre windows. Locking-room with 3x4-pane fixed timber windows and door under open-tread timber stair with handrail leading to cantilevered landing to first-floor porch.

Reasons for Listing

A well-preserved example of an interesting variant to a standard-design GWR box, sited on the Heart of Wales line in sight of Pantyfynnon Station.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pantyffynnon Station
    Situated at S end of road, some 1.4 km S of Ammanford town centre.
  • II St David's Parish Church
    Situated on SE side of Amman Valley, approx. 0.5m SE of Ammanford. Triangular shaped churchyard adjacent to Betws Rd. Sited diagonally to road.
  • II Plas Mawr (formerly known as Cwrt y Ceidrim)
    On sloping sight in Loughor valley, 1 mile (1.69km) S of Ty Croes, approached off the minor road along a track which continues past Plas Uchaf.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.