This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7423 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: -4.8856 / 4°53'8"W
OS Eastings: 200878
OS Northings: 208788
OS Grid: SN008087
Mapcode National: GBR G9.7H7P
Mapcode Global: VH1RV.8GKP
Plus Code: 9C3QP4R7+WQ
Entry Name: Coedcanlas Farmhouse and Attached Farmyard Range to S
Listing Date: 27 September 1994
Last Amended: 11 November 1997
Source ID: 14872
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 3 km NW of Lawrenny and S of Landshipping, on the E bank of the Daugleddau close to Beggars Reach.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Origins date from C14 when Coedcanlas was held by the Percivals. In the C15 it passed through marriage into the Butler family and for over a century Coedcanlas was a major Pembrokeshire seat; in 1550's Arnold Butler was High Sheriff and MP. In C17 the house was sold to the Owens of Orielton who are said to have rebuilt it in 1718. Despite this 'rebuilding' and the fact that it is said to have again been in ruins by 1912, the building retains evidence of historic fabric although overall the character is of a much altered house. Also the birthplace of the well-known author Dick Francis.
Both the Old Garden to the north of the house and the Hop Garden to the south are scheduled, and were probably laid out in the early C18 by Sir Arthur Owen. This and his finer garden at Landshipping are the best surviving gardens of their period in Wales and further support Coedcanlas' formerly high status.
Stone-built gentry house with slate-hung 3-storey S elevation. Cement-rendered N front with its ground storey as a semi-basement backing onto the by-road; slate roof with stone end chimney stacks. The S main front previously overlooked formal gardens leading down to the Cleddau. The roadside front to N demonstrates the major remodelling that has occurred at Coedcanlas. To the left are a pair of blocked 2-light mullioned windows which are set between the present 1st and 2nd floor level but which indicate the floor levels of the sub-medieval house; they retain quarter-round mouldings (although one jamb is unmoulded suggesting it may have been a 3-light window); the left hand of these windows has a modern window immediately below. Half below road-level is a round-arched doorway flanked by 4-pane horned sash windows. To the right of this is the off-centre trellised porch set at 1st floor level and with outside stone steps; historically this entrance may have given access to the principal apartments although it is not at a level that directly relates to the blocked-up early windows. The blank right gable end has a central blocked mullioned window of similar type to those on the front but broader. At the south-west corner the masonry is corbelled out in a narrow strip from just above 1st floor sill level; its appearance implies a chimney breast predating the stack at the gable apex, but there is no visible internal evidence. The left gable end has deeply projecting chimney breast and an attached single-storey whitewashed rubble service extension, which is linked by a stone wall with gateway to the long agricultural range to south. The 3-window S face is slate-hung above ground-floor with inappropriate modern windows and includes a deep lean-to porch; added to south-east half-hipped outbuilding with brick chimney stack. Attached at right angles is the long rubble and corrugated roofed agricultural range bordering the road. This was formerly single-storey and was subsequently lofted (hence masonry break to front and outline of lower gable). The main elevation faces inward to west and has voussoir arched openings; the north gable end and the roadside elevation are both whitewashed and the byre is stepped down at south end.
The plan-form of the farmhouse has been complicated by successive alterations. The pointed-arched former main entrance on the south side is retained and now seen from within a later porch. Some chamfered beams survive in former kitchen together with a pointed-arched fireplace; elsewhere Georgian alterations have introduced a central staircase. Also from this period dates the interesting reeded surrounds to some window openings which can be paralleled locally in the later C18; the panelled shutters have similar detailing. In the attic evidence is coming to light of a timber beam in the north wall just above the externally visible blocked mullioned windows; this may be the wall-plate of the earlier house. Also on the north side there is internal evidence for a blocked window at 1st floor level to west of the entrance. Coedcanlas is recorded as having early stone vaulting in the Pembrokeshire manner but no evidence of this is currently visible. The northern part of the farmyard range attached at right angles is known as the Malt House and retains C17 stop-chamfered beams (possibly reused) and a segmental-headed doorway at the downhill end.
Listed as an historic Pembrokeshire house of special interest and also for its group value with Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 455.
Other nearby listed buildings