This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1946 / 53°11'40"N
Longitude: -4.1998 / 4°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 253136
OS Northings: 368651
OS Grid: SH531686
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.2L8M
Mapcode Global: WH546.GY9T
Plus Code: 9C5Q5RV2+R3
Entry Name: Bryntirion
Listing Date: 3 March 1966
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 14924
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Bryntirion lies near the S end of Vaynol Park and is reached by a drive entered from the main road at Aber Pwll which climbs up through Bryntirion Lodge Wood to the sloping site of Bryntirion and its
Locality: Vaynol Park
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Vaynol was given to the crown after the last of tthe Williams family died without issue in 1696. Before 1723 the estate was granted to John Smith, MP, Chancellor of Exchequer and Speaker in the House of Commons, and in 1764 it was left to Thomas Assheton of Cheshire, who then took the name of Smith. Marriages of various descendants introduced the Duff and Vivian names. The Vaynol Estate was enlarged enormously from the wealth created by the Dinorwic Slate Quarries, one of the two most inportant in Wales. However, much of this property was sold by Sir Michael Duff in 1967, and after his death in 1980, the remaining Vaynol Park was sold in 1984, passing out of the family.
Bryntirion appears to be of late C17 or early C18 origins and was given a late Georgian remodelling early in the C19. It is documented in the C19 as being the agent's house, and its size and character indicate that it was always one of the most important houses in Vaynol Park. Victorian alterations and enlargements followed, with modern changes (?1956) to the outbuildings to form Bryntirion Bach at the N end.
Built of coursed rubble, with slate roofs. Mostly of 2 storeys and attic, the main front is of 4 window bays, continuing to the N as a lower structure formerly for service accomodation, without attic. A rubble screen wall divides off Bryntirion Bach. The main front, facing E, is of 2 builds, the more northerly relating to the early C19 remodelling in a slightly different stone. Twelve-paned sash windows, and a portico, off-centre, with panelled surround and porch with Ionic columns (replaced), and half-glazed doors. The attic floor has four gabled dormer windows with 12-pane sashes in the very tall hipped roof. The S front is rendered and lined, and has 2-pane C19 sash windows either side of a projecting, canted 4-storey central bay, also with 4-pane sash windows, and unusually, gabled dormers with similar windows on all 3 faces. Similar gabled dormers light the attic of each side bay. At the downhill end (S) is a rustic archway of largely drystone construction. Two tall chimney stacks with multiple flues.
The main rooms lead off a long entrance hall with segmental arches, deeply moulded cornice and architraves to the 6-panelled doors. Panelled shutters to the windows. An early C18 dog-leg stair with a shaped handrail and turned balusters lies off the corridor. One room has a Dinorwic slate chimneypiece. The house is said to retain a strongroom for the estate deeds. Stone flagged and brick vaulted cellar.
Graded II* as a fine early house with interesting development, for its well preserved interior and importance to Vaynol Park.
Other nearby listed buildings