This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0187 / 52°1'7"N
Longitude: -4.9029 / 4°54'10"W
OS Eastings: 200911
OS Northings: 239561
OS Grid: SN009395
Mapcode National: GBR CN.GYB7
Mapcode Global: VH1QG.YJXB
Plus Code: 9C4Q239W+FV
Entry Name: Brynhenllan Chapel
Listing Date: 17 November 1994
Last Amended: 17 November 1994
Source ID: 14942
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situate in Brynhenllan village, at the top of the slope to Pwllgwaelod.
Community: Dinas Cross (Dinas)
Community: Dinas Cross
Built-Up Area: Dinas Cross
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1842 Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, the third rebuilding of one founded in 1769.
Unpained roughcast with stucco dressings and slate eaves roof. Tall lateral front with 2 long arched centre windows, small-paned with radiating bars to arch and marginal glazing bars. Two outer 6-panel doors with lattice-tracery overlights and 2, 2-pane gallery lights above. Centre roundel date plaque: ‘Trefnyddin Calfinaidd Adeiladwyd 1769, Yr ail waith 1799, Y drydedd 1842’. On E end is 1911 lean-to vestry. Twelve-pane gallery light to each end wall, and rear has 2, 16-pane gallery windows and 3, 12-pane sashes below.
Fine interior of 1842 with 5-sided gallery on marbled timber columns, the bases raised above pews. Painted grained box-pews raked back under gallery, passage in front and small cluster of pews in centre behind C20 great seat. Some pews also flanking pulpit. Later pulpit with turned balusters and steps up each side. Elongated timber pilasters and simple open pediment to pulpit back. Gallery has cornice and panelled front, vertical panels with broader square panels to centres of 3 faces opposite pulpit, centre one with clock marked ‘George, Fishguard’. Flat ceiling with plain roundel Outer doors lead to small enclosed lobbies with stairs up to galleries and 6-panel doors to chapel. In the roof space the gable ends have half-trusses and rough brickwork, possibly suggesting that the roof was originally hipped.
Grade II* as a very fine interior of the first half of the C19, rare in S W Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings