This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1836 / 53°11'0"N
Longitude: -3.0217 / 3°1'18"W
OS Eastings: 331821
OS Northings: 365655
OS Grid: SJ318656
Mapcode National: GBR 74.3JHN
Mapcode Global: WH88C.K7BQ
Plus Code: 9C5R5XMH+C8
Entry Name: The Hawarden Institute
Listing Date: 16 November 1994
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15070
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Adjoining the Hawarden Gymnasium to the E.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Sandycroft
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Hawarden Institute was founded by W.E. Gladstone in 1854 as a literary, scientific and technical institute for the "physical, social and intellectual benefit of all classes". The present building replaced the earlier one and was opened by Gladstone in 1893. Designed by T.M. Lockwood of Chester, it consisted of a lecture hall, reading rooms, billiard rooms and bathing facilities.
A 2-storey 4-bay facade in Queen Anne style. Shallow-pitched hipped roof of slate, with oversailing eaves and moulded eaves cornice. Single off-set brick stack to L. Symmetrical 3-window main section to L with recessed entrance bay to R. Open porch with slate roof carried on scrolled wooden brackets, and with wooden balustrade to R. Stepped access to contemporary door with upper half gazed in 12 panes. Flanking the entrance, a pair of 6-pane fixed windows with moulded, shaped heads. Above the entrance, a tripartite window carried on decorative wooden brackets and with moulded pediment to central light. Contemporary glazed lantern carried on a bracket above the porch.
Main block with tripartite, part-leaded window with arched wooden transome and decorative keystone to ground floor centre. Similar window above, though here a Norman-shavian oriel on scrolled brackets. Flanking 6-light mullioned and transomed windows on both floors. Red brick ground floor with moulded and dentilated string-course and decorative diaper work in blue headers. Roughcast first floor, with plain brick string-courses at cill level and beneath eaves cornice. Pronounced brick quoins.
No 31: Contemporary 2-storey domestic range adjoining to rear (now No. 31). Cambered heads to doors and windows and both hipped and catslide roofs. Contemporary yard walls and W.C.
Included for its association with W.E. Gladstone, and as a public building by a significant regional architect.
Other nearby listed buildings