This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9521 / 51°57'7"N
Longitude: -5.0301 / 5°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 191870
OS Northings: 232520
OS Grid: SM918325
Mapcode National: GBR CH.M2ZN
Mapcode Global: VH1QS.R6MB
Plus Code: 9C3PXX29+VW
Entry Name: St Cawrda Church
Listing Date: 10 February 1994
Last Amended: 10 February 1995
Source ID: 15197
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 45m E of Jordonston Hall towards the S of Scleddau community.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Church rebuilt in 1797 on an old site (chancel floor slab c1617) and remodelled with new tower in 1863 by James Hughes, contractor, Fishguard. Tower restored in 1880.
Rubble stone nave, chancel and W tower. Slate roof with coped gables and two cross finials. Two step side buttresses to nave and chancel. Two large pointed leaded single lights on each side of nave with one similar window in chancel E wall. S vestry on chancel with side buttresses, coped gable and one window. Pointed door on W of vestry. Tower has two step diagonal buttresses, embattled parapets and stone corner finials. Pointed arched doorway with double doors.
Cement rendered. Boarded scissor rafter roof. Nave has oak pews and 3 central hanging oil lamps. Crude chancel arch with 3 shafts and carved capitals, chamfered with incised triangles in Bath stone. Oak pulpit with adjustable oil lamp. Behind pulpit is slab recording church rebuilt in 1797. W end has 2 slate plaques one with Creed and the other with Lord's Prayer. Over door is coat of arms of Sir J J Hamilton recording church repaired and tower rebuilt in 1863. C13 circular scalloped grey stone font on cylindrical base.
Fittings: One oil lamp on wall in chancel each side of chancel arch. Chancel has recess and door to vestry on S side. Vestry restored 1909. Altar, plain Gothic altar rails and 2 prayer desks all of oak. E window by Celtic Studios (1949) with Ten Commandments on slate, one each side. Chancel N side has plaque recording church rebuilt in 1863 and tower restored in 1880. Monuments: Neo Grecian monument with draped urn and oak leaf wreath to G G Vaughan (d1837). Marble plaque to G Vaughan (d1808) and fine Bath stone monument to Jenkin Vaughan (d1675) with scrolled pediment and Jacobean style piers. Chancel S side has large marble slab to Mathias family of Llwyngwarren c1815. Chancel floor slab to Thomas Mathias of Llangwarren 1617 with incised coats of arms.
Listed for for group value with Jordanstone Hall and for its interesting monuments, dating from 1617.
Other nearby listed buildings