This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1323 / 53°7'56"N
Longitude: -3.1358 / 3°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 324106
OS Northings: 360059
OS Grid: SJ241600
Mapcode National: GBR 70.6LSP
Mapcode Global: WH77C.SJYL
Entry Name: Stable/Office Range at Nerquis Hall Estate
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15215
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjoining the N gate tower to the rear, and closing the service court to the N.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A long 2-storey stable range with accommodation/offices to the L (W). Late C18th, and probably 1793-7, though incorporating part of an earlier building in the centre of the right-hand section. Of uncoursed rough-dressed sandstone under a medium-pitched slate roof. 11 spaced entrances, the first unnumbered, then numbered 1-10 from L-R. To the L accommodation and offices with 3 Tudor-arched entrances with dressed stone lintels and stopped-chamfered jambs. The first is smaller and has stepped access. Boarded and studded doors. On the first floor, and flanking entrance no.1, 2 multi-pane Gothic iron-framed casements, part-fixed and with intersecting tracery heads. Dressed surrounds with slightly projecting stone cills. Similar, though slightly taller windows to R of entrances 1 and 2 on ground floor. Plain chimney between units 1 and 2. Modern fenestration to first floor rear. Similar entrance to the R (no.3) with an unglazed oculus above. Entrances 4-8 as before, though lacking chamfers and with stable doors. Above, and to the R of No.5, another oculus and
above no. 7 a later window with brick-cambered head and boarded shutter. 9 and 10 (far R) with stone-cambered heads, wooden surrounds and air vents to boarded stable doors. Stone-coped E gable with plain decorative kneelers and 3 tiers of ventilation slits. A large round-arched window with brick voussoirs and fixed iron multi-pane glazing with upper fan. Flush with the gable and adjoining to the S, a large dressed stone arch with depressed head, plain projecting keystone and crenellations. This terminates in a rubble wall which returns E to connect with the rear of the hay barn.
Group value with other listed items in the service court.
Other nearby listed buildings